Advise how to optimize streaming of legacy server hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I have an unusual setup for WHS server:
    2x Pentium III Coppermine 1 GHz
    3 Gb ECC SDRAM
    ASUS ServerWorks chipset MB
    3 IDE drives
    1 SCSI drive connected to onboard controller.

The server itself only supports UDMA/33 IDE, and.can only boot from it, CD-ROM or a floppy (some HP BIOS peculiarity). The smaller IDE drive is connected to it. I see this as one of the bottlenecks within the system.
    Other two are connected to PCI ATA133 controller.

Basically I have 2 questions:
    1. Can anyone advise some kind of boot record transfer utility , so I can use some other old IDE drive just to redirect boot to SCSI? Is it better to put system files on a faster 10K rpm SCSI drive?
    2. How do you think I can use this large amount of RAM to enhance streaming experience, because HD quality video streaming is problematic (100 MBps network)?

Thanks in advance,
    BR, Nick.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:45 PM

All replies

• BTW, I couldn't install WHS on the 33.7 Gb SCSI drive alone (it said 65 Gb min is needed). Can anyone advise how I can overcome this limitation?
    I'll be adding more storage later when I'll manage to boot from SCSI.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:04 AM
  •  RAWIRON wrote:
    BTW, I couldn't install WHS on the 33.7 Gb SCSI drive alone (it said 65 Gb min is needed). Can anyone advise how I can overcome this limitation?
    I'll be adding more storage later when I'll manage to boot from SCSI.
    You can't. It's baked in to the installer. Windows Home Server requires at least one drive of 65 GB. It will use that drive as the system drive, splitting it into a 20 GB system partition and an "everything left over" primary data partition.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:51 AM
  • Don't use ATA/33, that's a severe performance hit. The SCSI onboard is likely ancient too. dump that.

I would recommend either connecting everything to ATA/133 card you have or purchase another one. Better yet, get a 4-port SATA card and use SATA-II drives.

RAWIRON wrote:
    I have an unusual setup for WHS server:
    2x Pentium III Coppermine 1 GHz
    3 Gb ECC SDRAM
    ASUS ServerWorks chipset MB
    3 IDE drives
    1 SCSI drive connected to onboard controller.

The server itself only supports UDMA/33 IDE, and.can only boot from it, CD-ROM or a floppy (some HP BIOS peculiarity). The smaller IDE drive is connected to it. I see this as one of the bottlenecks within the system.
    Other two are connected to PCI ATA133 controller.

Basically I have 2 questions:
    1. Can anyone advise some kind of boot record transfer utility , so I can use some other old IDE drive just to redirect boot to SCSI? Is it better to put system files on a faster 10K rpm SCSI drive?
    2. How do you think I can use this large amount of RAM to enhance streaming experience, because HD quality video streaming is problematic (100 MBps network)?

Thanks in advance,
    BR, Nick.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Thanks!
    Well, I coudn't get my MB to boot up from any external device with Boot ROM (Some MB BIOS bug) and I wonder is there any 3rd party solutions like Acronis bootable disk tools (that see all my other drives) and are ablle to redirect booting to them directly. Any boot manager I've tried (including Acronis' own OS selector) was not able to see drives connected to SCSI and external IDE.
    Any advice?
    Friday, May 23, 2008 7:57 PM