completely unusable RRS feed

• Question

• I get messages on from onecare saying they have found threats etc... but i can't seem to be able to do anything about it because everytime i click an action on the live onecare startup screen, it stops responding. If i open it up it's fine, but the second I click ANYTHING on live onecare, it stops responding. this has caused numerous problems on my computer because of viruses and worms that go unnoticed and uncleaned. I have a brand new laptop, only 5 months old..and am using vista. it's not my user abilities.. because on my previous laptop I had f-secure and was using it for 4 years, yeah count em... FOUR and I had NEVER encountered a problem. I thought hey, what the heck... let me try this for a change... now it's one of the things I regret most. Forget getting help.. you people have a mile-long process to even contact a customer service representative. It asks me for my product code when i'm submitting my info..how do i get that if one care won't even let me click the 'help' link without going 'not responding' on me .. any suggestions?
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 1:36 AM

Answers

• My recommendation is to reinstall OneCare if it is not responding.

Use the cleanup tool before reinstalling - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Verify that no other security software is installed. Many OEMs pre-install Norton or McAfee software on the PC and these may be causing a conflict if not completely removed.

Is it only unresponsive when there is an Action to take shown? Are you able to access Change Settings or Check for Updates, for example?

"You people" would be Microsoft and the forums are here for peer to peer discussions - the moderators are volunteers and don't work for Microsoft, we are fellow customers. I agree that contacting support is painfully difficult. However, the FAQ - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 - explains how to contact support.

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 1:20 PM