OCS and MOSS 2007 on the same physical computer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Can I deploy the OCS 2007 Standard Edition on a computer running Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007? If so, will there be any limitations in the funcionality of OCS or MOSS?

We are small company - about 50 people and purchasing a separate box for the OCS 2007 won't be very cost effective, since the current MOSS box is a nice one (Pentium 4 with Hiperthreading @ 3 GHz; 6 GB of RAM and 2 HDD mirrors - one of them will be dedicated for the OCS). And is it a problem that the server is running Server 2003 x64 Edition? I know that OCS 2007 is 32 bit only and it will run in a WOW on a 64 bit platforms, but will this cause a performance degradation?

Any recommendations/experience are welcome

Thanks in advance,

Lubo.

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:27 AM

Answers

• I haven't seen any statements specifically banning customers from running OCS with MOSS, though in general it's not a fabulous idea.  The fact that it's not listed anywhere as a supported scenario means that it probably hasn't been thoroughly tested, which means it wouldn't be supported.  However, given your user count I can understand your desire to do so and I think you'll have better performance than if you run OCS in a VM.  Be aware that if you hit any hairy issues in either scenario Microsoft Support would likely make you recreate the issue on a standalone system before continuing to assist.  As for 64 bit, OCS is fully supported on a 64 bit OS and will run in WOW mode.

Monday, September 24, 2007 11:53 AM

All replies

• I haven't seen any statements specifically banning customers from running OCS with MOSS, though in general it's not a fabulous idea.  The fact that it's not listed anywhere as a supported scenario means that it probably hasn't been thoroughly tested, which means it wouldn't be supported.  However, given your user count I can understand your desire to do so and I think you'll have better performance than if you run OCS in a VM.  Be aware that if you hit any hairy issues in either scenario Microsoft Support would likely make you recreate the issue on a standalone system before continuing to assist.  As for 64 bit, OCS is fully supported on a 64 bit OS and will run in WOW mode.

Monday, September 24, 2007 11:53 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for your fast reply. You mentioned performance compared to a VM. My final goal is to have an OCS Standard Edition on one box (physical or VM), OCS Edge Server on another, and the Mediation Server on third. Given the number of the users - 50 do think it will be Ok to run all the three on virtual machines? I have a dedicated server for only virtual machines with 2 x Dual Core Xeon and 16 GB of RAM.

If it is not a good idea to run all on a virtual machines - which would you recommend to run on a physical and which on a virtual machine?

Lubo.

Monday, September 24, 2007 12:52 PM
  • First, let me remind you again that Microsoft doesn't support any OCS roles on Virtual Server.  If you're comfortable with the lack of support, then I would start by getting up to speed on how to plan for virtualization performance.  Here is a very basic article to get you started.

Regardless of your interest in following Microsoft support policies, I would not recommend virtualizing your Mediation Server or any servers running A/V roles unless you are sure that you won't have more than a very small number of simultaneous streams going through them.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:56 AM
  • Well Mike,

Our current estimations shows that there will be no more than:

• 30 simultaneous A/V conferencing users (both company internal users and external clients)
    • 10 simultaneous telephone calls passing through the Mediation and Standard Editions servers

Based on that numbers and the fact that in their documentation Microsoft says the Standard Edition is designed to support 5000 users when running on the recommended hardware, I'm going to try all the roles (Front End, Consolidated Edge, and Mediation Server) running on virtual machines. I already tested in a lab environment that it is possible to deploy another Standard Ed. server in the same domain, move all users to it, and them remove the old one. So if the real live performance statistics show that the performance when running on virtual machines is poor, we'll have to buy a dedicated box (or several boxes  if counting the Edge and Mediation roles) for the OCS and move all the users to that box.

I decided to stay away from installing the OCS on the MOSS box because I don't like much the WOW thing. I personally think that something desingned to run on a 32 bit environment should run on a 32 bit environment, not through the WOW.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:03 AM