why i am getting crawl- file not found RRS feed

Answers

• Alternatively, now that you know those pages are gone, you can 301 redirect them to your homepage or the like.

Monday, August 25, 2008 4:27 PM

All replies

•  

It sounds to me that you have deleted the page, but somewhere on your website you forgot to delete links to the two pages in question.  The msnbot is (apparently) finding these links and trying to follow them, but getting the 404.

I suggest that you search all of the source code for links to those two pages, hopefully in an automated way using your web development software.

... Duane

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Alternatively, now that you know those pages are gone, you can 301 redirect them to your homepage or the like.

Monday, August 25, 2008 4:27 PM
  •  

I'm facing the same problem but I have tons of pages that are not part of my website anymore. So it will be complicated to add a 301 redirect on each original file. The problem is that initially we had two websites sharing the same IP but now after a long time we finally got one different IP for each website (see schema below). So, now one of this websites is getting a lot of 404 errors because those pages are not part of the website anymore, these belong to the other website.

I have uploaded a new sitemap containing only the files for the specific website but the crawler keeps trying to access all the older files. What can I do to stop all the 404 errors?

The original structure was the following:

IP1 www.domain1.com

IP1 www.domain2.com/folder

In this structure www.domain1.com/file.aspx and www.domain2.com/file.aspx were correct

The current structure is:

IP1 www.domain1.com

IP2 www.domain2.com (now containing everything that was within /folder)

In this structure www.domain2.com/file.aspx gives a 404 error. The same happens with all the other files that were in the root of domain1

I'll apreciate any help. Just in case, I'm not having any problems in the ranking but of course I get a lot of errors everyday.

Thanks,

Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:32 PM