none
Windows HPC X Windows Standard/Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there any technical difference between Windows HPC edition and Windows Standard/Enterprise edition? I know that Windows HPC edition has less features/roles than the Standard/Enterprise edition, but its kernel, is it different?

My understanding is that the HPC edition was created to lower the costs to deploy a HPC cluster, but from a technical viewpoint, they share the same kernel. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,

-George

-George

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:45 PM

Answers

• Yes, you're understanding is correct. The differences between Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, and HPC Edition editions are in the role/feature availability and the 'technical limits' (procs, ram), and licensing.

The editions share the same base code, so patching/updates/service packs are unified.

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies

• Yes, you're understanding is correct. The differences between Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, and HPC Edition editions are in the role/feature availability and the 'technical limits' (procs, ram), and licensing.

The editions share the same base code, so patching/updates/service packs are unified.

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Thanks Don!

-George

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:24 PM