Automatic Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Why does Onecare think that the computer is at Risk when the update option is set to notify? If what I have is a laptop, is it realistic that I will leave in turned on so that updates can take place at 3:00 in the morning? And many of these updates require reboot; so if I were to be running a program I would have to stop that so as to reboot.

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:45 PM

Answers

• If the PC is not on at the designated time, leaving the setting to install at 3 am will delay installation, in most cases, until your shut the computer down.

So, setting to install at 3 am or other designated time will probably suit your just fine. However, I'll paste my boilerplate response below for the AU settings issue.

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

Pasted from <http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2512983&SiteID=2&ReturnUrl=>

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:00 PM

All replies

• If the PC is not on at the designated time, leaving the setting to install at 3 am will delay installation, in most cases, until your shut the computer down.

So, setting to install at 3 am or other designated time will probably suit your just fine. However, I'll paste my boilerplate response below for the AU settings issue.

I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way.

Pasted from <http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2512983&SiteID=2&ReturnUrl=>

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Onecare will be on red status, if automatic update is not set to automatic.

By default Windows update schedule is set to 3:00AM, you can change that if you want.

When an automatic update is downloaded to your computer a yellow icon, looks like a shield will appear, it will notify you that there are updates needed to be installed. you still have the control when will it be installed.

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:01 PM
  • I like the idea of progressive "escalation" of the warning. However, not everyone has the excessively fast internet connection available all the time. It would be tragic if the OneCare dcided to take over when I was connecting via a modem from a very remote location and was on pay-per-second plan of a zillion $ per second.

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Yes, that would be a concern, and is a concern today with AU set to download automatically - which OneCare requires. So, in my suggested solution, having AU set even to notify of available updates should let you be green. OneCare doesn't actually do the downloads of Windows Updates, that is AU. OneCare simply checks for available updates not installed via AU during Tune-up and probably at other scheduled times.
    -steve
    Monday, May 19, 2008 6:54 PM