Remote Desktop and Console not connecting - all else is fine? RRS feed

• Question

• I have seena few thread son things similar to this but it seems nothing addresses it exactly.  I have a WHS that is OEM.  I am able to access the folder shares.  It appears to be backingt up my computers just fine.  However, I cannot remote desktop into the server or conne3ct via console.  I have been able to ping it successfully with both IP address and by name (mattiemediahub).  Frankly, everything works fine unless I need to get in there by console or remote desktop to admin anything.  Unfortunately, since it is OEM, it is headless and stashed away so not sure if I can get into it locally or not with a lot of hassle (hoping it won't be necessary).  Is it possible that my router has somehow now decided to block access?  Have there been any recent updates (either to clients or server) that might be block this access?  I'd just be happy to have a few more tests to run to see what the heck is going wrong.

In a related thread, I found that my WHS media connector was also not working as adverstised for media center.  Is there possibly some network protocol I have unintentionally screwed up?

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    can you start the event viewer on an XP client and attempt to connect through this to the server by right clicking Event Viewer (local) and select Connect to another Computer?
    Do you see any related error messages or informations, if you can?

Also - are both the server and the client in the same logical subnet? If the client is connected wireless and the server wired, this may be a reason with some routers to see this as different subnet. In this case try a wired connection for the client as well.

Do you use a different Firewall application than the Windows Firewall? This can also block Remote Desktop communication (and the console is based on Remote Desktop as well).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by HTPCBoy Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:55 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:33 PM

All replies

• I have seena few thread son things similar to this but it seems nothing addresses it exactly.  I have a WHS that is OEM.  I am able to access the folder shares.  It appears to be backingt up my computers just fine.  However, I cannot remote desktop into the server or conne3ct via console.  I have been able to ping it successfully with both IP address and by name (mattiemediahub).  Frankly, everything works fine unless I need to get in there by console or remote desktop to admin anything.  Unfortunately, since it is OEM, it is headless and stashed away so not sure if I can get into it locally or not with a lot of hassle (hoping it won't be necessary).  Is it possible that my router has somehow now decided to block access?

I wouldn't think so (unless your router itself is dying).  Have you tried resetting your router?  You might try logging into the server desktop (which, FYI, is unsupported) and completely disabling the Windows Firewall and see if it helps.  Also, have you installed any add-ins/apps on your server?

Have there been any recent updates (either to clients or server) that might be block this access?

No.

I'd just be happy to have a few more tests to run to see what the heck is going wrong.

In a related thread, I found that my WHS media connector was also not working as adverstised for media center.  Is there possibly some network protocol I have unintentionally screwed up?

Thanks in advance!
    To clarify: did you build the server yourself (which is truly OEM) or did you buy a pre-built server from HP, Acer, etc?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:14 AM
  • If the machine is a self build system and has an NVidia graphics card, please check this FAQ.
    Olaf
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Sorry - I think I got caught using a term I am not 100% clear on :-).  I bought the server through Velocity Micro pre-built (I thought OEM meant built by third-party?).  Reason I asked about updates is that I have noticed elsewhere that when IE 8 gets installed it seems to "relock" or tighten the security settings all over again.  Could just be coincidence.

The router is fairly new (4-5 weeks) so I hope it isn't dying ... I did reset it and no dice.  Everything worked really well for the last year or so and then all seemed to stop at about the sametime I noticed these updates coming out.  I saw in another thread that someone uninstalled .net updates.  Do you know if this really has any impact?

Thanks again - I'm sure it is onvious I am flying blind here :-)

Monday, August 10, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thank you.  I did actually see your post about this in another thread but alas it was pre-built by Velocity Micro.  I must be mis-using "OEM".

Thank you anyway.  I appreciate the response ...
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Hi,
    can you start the event viewer on an XP client and attempt to connect through this to the server by right clicking Event Viewer (local) and select Connect to another Computer?
    Do you see any related error messages or informations, if you can?

Also - are both the server and the client in the same logical subnet? If the client is connected wireless and the server wired, this may be a reason with some routers to see this as different subnet. In this case try a wired connection for the client as well.

Do you use a different Firewall application than the Windows Firewall? This can also block Remote Desktop communication (and the console is based on Remote Desktop as well).

Olaf
    • Marked as answer by HTPCBoy Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:55 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Thank you - after searching around your direction helped quite a bit.  I don't know exact issue, but realized that I had both Windows firewall and McAfee firewalls activated.  I disabled the McAfee firewall and the problem seems to have gone away  Like I said, not sure of the eact issue but at this point just glad to be back into the WHS.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:54 PM