Media Centre RRS feed

• Question

• I am still not clear about WHAT gets backed up by Home Server.  Should I install the client on my Media Centre? 

Can the Home Server wake on LAN the media Centre to do its business late at night?

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:52 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can install the client on your Media Center if you want it to be backed up.

The automatic backup is not initiated via Wake on LAN. The client PC wakes up at the predefined backup slot (if it is in Sleep or Hibernate) and pings the server telling it that it is ready to be backed up. The Server then backs up the client PCs on a first come first serve basis. Once backup is done, the machine goes back to Sleep/Hibernate.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:58 PM
  • You can also choose to exclude certain folders from a backup, for example you could exclude your recorded TV folder if you don't have enough disk space on your beta home server to back it up.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:29 PM
  • The network device properties (not the network connection but the hardware device) usually has a check box on the power managment tab - something like:

Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby

Saturday, March 3, 2007 4:32 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can install the client on your Media Center if you want it to be backed up.

The automatic backup is not initiated via Wake on LAN. The client PC wakes up at the predefined backup slot (if it is in Sleep or Hibernate) and pings the server telling it that it is ready to be backed up. The Server then backs up the client PCs on a first come first serve basis. Once backup is done, the machine goes back to Sleep/Hibernate.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:58 PM
  • You can also choose to exclude certain folders from a backup, for example you could exclude your recorded TV folder if you don't have enough disk space on your beta home server to back it up.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:29 PM
  •  Dileep K wrote:

Yes, you can install the client on your Media Center if you want it to be backed up.

AH HA...

I hibernate my laptop and it has been waking up on it's own.  Now I do not have it set to backup at all since it's wireless.  I have it in a Docking Station so it usualy is always 'pluged in'.  On my power settings I tell it to not automaticaly hibernate when on AC. 

Where can I stop my laptop from waking up on it's own? 

Monday, February 26, 2007 4:37 PM
  • The network device properties (not the network connection but the hardware device) usually has a check box on the power managment tab - something like:

Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby

Saturday, March 3, 2007 4:32 PM