MagicISO virtual CD-drives erroneoulsy identified as new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my copy of Windows XP was certified as legal when I first installed WGA.
    However, adding two virtual CD-drives using MagicISO gives me the message that 
    the computer's hardware has changed significantly since it was first installed, 
    making the license invalid. I'm positive that it is the virtual CD drives that are causing
    this, since I have never opened the computer, nor have I installed any new peripherals
    since I installed the OS. Could somebody please help me?

Thank you!
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:49 AM

Answers

• Grorn,

If you remove WGA you won't be able to download some features from Microsoft.com. What version of Windows XP do you have installed?  Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 2, 2009 10:11 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 5:51 PM

All replies

• On a somewhat related note, how safe is the WGA removal method provided by Microsoft? 
    Will it just disable the notifications and checking or will it remove WGA altogether from the 
    hard drive? Will I still be able to recieve updates (other than the critical ones) and what programs
    will I no longer be able to download from Microsoft Update?

What method is preferred, making the system realize that the license is legitimate, or remove 
    the checking altogether?
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Grorn,

If you remove WGA you won't be able to download some features from Microsoft.com. What version of Windows XP do you have installed?  Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 2, 2009 10:11 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Grorn said:

Hello, my copy of Windows XP was certified as legal when I first installed WGA.

However, adding two virtual CD-drives using MagicISO gives me the message that 
    the computer's hardware has changed significantly since it was first installed, 
    making the license invalid. I'm positive that it is the virtual CD drives that are causing
    this, since I have never opened the computer, nor have I installed any new peripherals
    since I installed the OS. Could somebody please help me?

Thank you!

The reason is because Windows makes a record of all the components you have.

If you bought this copy of Windows separately, then its becasue too many new devices have been added, and it thinks of virtual discs as new devices because MagicDisc emulates the discs at a kernal level (level 1)

By the way - the above issue is a product activation issue, not a Genuine issue, and the message popping up means you need to reactivate. Just activate by telephone, and explain the representative your situation.

If Windows was pre-installed, and your computwer was purchased from a "Small OEM" (name DOES NOT appear on COA)
    just activate by telephone.
    Grorn said:

On a somewhat related note, how safe is the WGA removal method provided by Microsoft? 

Will it just disable the notifications and checking or will it remove WGA altogether from the 
    hard drive? Will I still be able to recieve updates (other than the critical ones) and what programs
    will I no longer be able to download from Microsoft Update?

What method is preferred, making the system realize that the license is legitimate, or remove 
    the checking altogether?

The WGA removal method provided by microsoft is completely safe, and will not case anything to break if done right. It will remove the notifications, but it doesnt randomly check your PC, only when you download updates. Updates from the MS Download center use a seperate plugin, but do not include notifacations. If you remove these programs, select updates from MS wont work. You should try to make the system realize the license is legitimate instead of just removing notifacations, so you can continue to download updates.
    • Proposed as answer by motherboardlove Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:30 PM