Navigation bar incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• I am using IE 8 and CRM 4.0, update rollup 5.  When I click on Sales or Marketing sometimes the left navigation bar gets stuck and only shows My Work and Customers. Above those, the blue bar does change to Sales, but below that, it is still My Work and Customers.  With persistent clicking, this problem goes away, but then it resurfaces a bit later.  

screenshot

Harold Naparst
    • Edited by fscefwcx Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:27 AM add picture
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:25 AM

Answers

• I submitted this issue to Microsoft using one of my paid support incidents. 
    They informed me today that this issue has been resolved in Update Rollup 6.
    One should delete the browsing history and all cookies on the server and client machines
    after installing the rollup.

Harold Naparst
    • Marked as answer by fscefwcx Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:19 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:18 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to clean up the IE Caches?

Jim Wang - MVP Dynamics CRM - http://jianwang.blogspot.com, http://mscrm.cn
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Dear Jim,
      Thanks for your input and advice!  I did in fact try this, but it did not help.
    I also tried putting all sites in Compatibility view.  The problem is common to all computers
    in the office, regardless of OS.

Kind Regards,
    Harold Naparst
    Harold Naparst
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:44 AM
  • is your "my workplace "setting configured to show these enities?
    your user account role is?
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:51 PM
  • Well, that was interesting advice.  When I personlize my workspace, and check sales and marketing, now
    those areas show up under Workplace.  However, when I click the Sales or Marketing blue bars in the left
    navigation, this has little effect.  The only change is that the title of the navigation bar changes to Sales,
    just as in the picture I posted.

It seems to me that the the settings of My Workplace should only affect what appears in My Workplace, and
    should not affect what appears in the Sales area or Marketing area.

Also, I would point out that everything works perfectly in the Outlook addin for CRM.

And again, this problem is intermittent.  It seems to come and go with a life of its own.

Harold Naparst
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Hi harold,
    intersting issue.
    Please Update IE 8 Service pack or run Windows update.it is just trail only

Thanks
    VenkataPidikiti

VenkataP
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Dear Venkata,
       Do you recommend that I downgrade to IE7 in order to fix this problem?
    We do not like to run beta software in production.  Is IE8 still in beta?

Harold
    Harold Naparst
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:19 AM
  • I think the recommendation is to ensure you have all your latest IE and Windows updates by running the Windows Update service or connecting to the Windows Update web site from the computer that is having the issue.  If you have all your updates then ensure you don't have any custom code, javascript, IE Add-ons that might be interfering with the view refreshing.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fscefwcx Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:54 PM
  • I have unproposed this as the answer.  I have reset all the settings in IE8 to the factory settings,
    and I am still having this problem on all client computers.  There is no custom code and all updates
    have been applied to the systems.  

In fact, I recently did a fresh install of the OS and all updates just to try and get rid of this problem, but
    it is still there just as before.  My opinion is that this is a problem on the server side.

Harold
    Harold Naparst
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I think Microsoft Support is going to be your best source for resolution.  I have not encountered anyone with the same issue and have not seen anything similar posted in the CRM forums.  Let us know how it goes.  Thank you

Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Just as a test, the next time you encounter this behavior, click on a different area, such as Service or Marketing.  Are the workplace links still listed or does the area change to Service or Marketing?

We have seen this behavior if a user opens the web client and selects an area other than workplace before all the portions of the window have time to load.  Because the web client is driven by javascript and there are no hyperlinks per se, it's quite possible the click which is intended to change the area to Sales comes too early to change the nav area from My Work to Sales but in time to change the grid to Leads.

Also, do you get a different experience when running CRM in Application Mode?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Dear Richard,
      Thanks for your response.

I am confused about your first question.  The entire problem I am describing is exactly what your question is.  There is a picture
    of the behavior in the first post in this thread.  When I click on Sales or Markeing, the Workplace links are still listed.

I am also confused about your second question.  What is Application mode?

To Donna, I would point out that Richard is having this problem, and it might be more widespread than Microsoft realizes.
    I would also point out that it is a serious issue, since it effectively prohibits me from using the application.
    Apparently, Richard did not post this in the forums.  If he had, then this would have been the second time you had seen
    this issue in the forums.  So I don't think that minimizing the problem by saying that it doesn't exist is the right course
    of action.

Regards,
    Harold
    Harold Naparst
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:35 AM
  • I am not having the problem, I was just able to recreate it using a very specific set of steps.

To the users who have come across this behavior, we have recommended waiting until all parts of the window are loaded before clicking a different area, which is not a solution to the problem, but is a more cost effective workaround than chasing a problem which no one can reproduce at will.

In your original description, you list persistent clicking as a temporary workaround, but you don't say where you click.  The information I was tring to gather with my first question is, upon experiencing the behavior, does clicking all areas produce the same result?  That is, when you are stuck between Sales and Workplace, what happens when you click Service?  If nothing happens when you click Service there is a different issue than if the blue bar and grid change to Service but the nav links stay at Workplace.

Application mode is a setting found under Settings > Administration > System Settings > Customization tab.  Application mode forces the web client to open in a new window with no address bar or IE menus, so CRM feels more like a Windows application and less like a web application.  You may experience different behavior running the CRM web client in application mode.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Try this

Download the MSCRM Demonstration Tool Kit.
    There is a option of Site Map editor
    Run it on the server and connect.
    Look at your site map when pulling from the system for stranges entries
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Have you ever customized the SiteMap.xml? The problem probablly caused by customization.

Jim

Jim Wang - MVP Dynamics CRM - http://jianwang.blogspot.com, http://mscrm.cn
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Hi Harold,

My intent was not to minimize the issue but instead, to point you to the quickest source for your solution which I think is Microsoft support.   My reason for suggesting Microsoft support is threefold;

1) This issue has been a problem for you for some time now and although several people in the forums have tried to assist, we are not identifying the root of the issue and getting a solution to you quickly
    2) MS support will be able to dial into your system, reproduce the issue, and identify the root cause, they will work with you to resolution
    3) If this is an issue that will affect other companies, environments, users, etc., MS support can identify this for a future release
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Dear Jim,

I have not customized SiteMap.xml to my knowledge.  I have customized a few attributes, such as payment terms or
    shipping methods, to reflect the ones that we use.
       I think I'll take Donna's advice and contact MS support.   Thanks for your help.
    I'll leave this problem as "unresolved".

Harold
    Harold Naparst
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I submitted this issue to Microsoft using one of my paid support incidents. 
    They informed me today that this issue has been resolved in Update Rollup 6.
    One should delete the browsing history and all cookies on the server and client machines
    after installing the rollup.

Harold Naparst
    • Marked as answer by fscefwcx Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:19 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Great, thank you for providing the update, this is useful information.  On a side note, since this was an issue in the application, I don't believe Microsoft will charge for the support ticket but I could be wrong.  You can check with Microsoft to confirm.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Dear Harold,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that your issue was solved.

Based on your confirmation, I will set this case to archive today. You will be able to re-open the case 30 days past this date if you have further issues within the original scope of this ticket.

Please find below the closing agreement of this support case.

[ARCR]

ACTION:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Sometimes when navigating to CRM 4.0 modules(Sales, Marketing…) nothing happens – shows just workspace. 

CAUSE:

Bug 

RESOLUTION:

Installed rollup update 6

Resolved

I appreciated the opportunity to work with you on this incident and if you have any further questions or if I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards,

Denis

Harold Naparst
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:59 AM