Vista Ultimate not running control panel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone I am having a issue on a friends asus laptop. They asked me to look at it as there was an issue on a update and the pc crashed giving error on boot up. I ran the Vista ultimate repair disk and the system booted up okay after that.

Once logged in as administrator what I found was that control panel disappeared and an Windows genuine software message came up. The laptop as I mentioned is an asus laptop with a lisenced copy of Vista with the microsoft label underneath etc etc.

I have read things on the forums about running services and turning on the SL UI notification service, as well has checking validity from the microsoft site. I have tried the SL UI and it fails to start giving  the following error code 0xC000022.

That error then sends me to the Genuine software page when I try and validate windows it says its not genuine and tells me to do the following 

• Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then choose Run as administrator. The Command Prompt window opens.
  • In the Command Prompt window, type the command net start slsvc and then press ENTER.
  • When I do this I get the following error 

C:\Users\xxxx>net start slsvc
    The Software Licensing service is starting.
    The Software Licensing service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

ANy ideas how to move forward with this?

If the key has somehow changed with the repair disk how do I fix this issue ?

Regards

Ikhan42

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Ikhan42,

You have already done allot of good research, but before we proceed, would you post a Diagnostic Report so that I can get a whole picture view of the issue?

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:56 PM