HELP!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Mates,

I am New to the Field of programming, i made a messenger including connecting to the DB and the threads and everything, just stuck with the way of sending and recieveing, i heard that socketing would help. can someone tell me how to apply socketing to my program?

if you're interestered please email me at whisper-16@hotmail.com

Thx =)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:41 PM

All replies

•  

find it urself..

i will just give u a hint < USE REMOTING CONCEPTS>

or use a web service...< i hardly see any webservice for messenger>

for remoting u need to create ur server.. use the below link..

http://secretgeek.net/QAD_Remoting.asp

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:02 AM
  • Remoting is a pretty good way to go about it if your messenger is going to be limited to just text based chatting and be used by a few people. If you have plans to enhance your software further in future by adding voip or video or anything latency sensitive, then remoting won't be such a good idea.

In fact, I wouldn't recommend remoting if you plan to deploy your project massively. Remoting is relatively slow as opposed to dealing with raw sockets (System.Net.Sockets).

If your project is targetting .NET Framework 3.5 CLR, then your best bet will be to go for WCF (Windows Communication Foundation).

All three topics (Remoting, Sockets and WCF) are massive and definitely not something that can be scaled down to a forum discussion. If you are serious about this, you should try reading some good articles regarding these topics. Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of each concept specific to your scenario and pick the best you like as noone knows your code better than you do Smile

P.S I am also working on a similar software (more like a proof of concept kinda project than anything) to try and bring conceptual IRC style chatting to the masses. I don't have any code to show you at present as I am still at the design stages and benchmarking different concepts.

If you are interested, you can get in touch with me at: jetblazer@jetblazer.com (Jet Blazer is my online handle)

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:59 PM
  • nice

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:32 PM