studentoptions.com / Academic upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello people, have a few questions as a "poor" student here.

Now I do assume that www.studentoptions.com is legit as there are links to the site from the microsoft website.

My question are:

1. On www.studentoptions.com you are able to buy a "windows xp professional upgrade" at very favorable prices. But do I have to own eg. windows 98 or is this student upgrade version like a regular windows xp license?

2. Allmost the same as above. I have seen multiple websites offering a "windows vista academic upgrade" which ought to be the same as a vista home premium edition. Again, would I need a legit windows xp or windows 2k to upgrade or does the academic version act like a regular windows license.

3. If anyone knows. Will Windows vista be available through eg. www.studentoptions.com

Thanks in advance for any answers or thoughts on this.

Yours sincerely

Jesper K. Boesen

Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:45 PM

Answers

• You'll need to contact studentoptions.com for answers to your questions related to their web site product offerings.
    Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:27 AM
  • As stated above, StudentOptions is a Microsoft Authorized Education Reseller. It provides downloadable CD/DVD of Microsoft Software with Product Key (after purchase). StudentOptions is designed for European students.

The licenses and the downloadable media are genuine. It is not the first time that genuine Microsoft Software are available for legal downloads through website (eg MSDNAA via e-academy.com)
    This website is supported by Microsoft France Education :
    http://www.microsoft.com/france/education/studentoptions

This way of distribution is more cost-effective and practical for Microsoft and students. And again, it is truly legal (you pay for it !). So, from my point of view, it is a very interesting offer.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 10:00 PM

All replies

• You'll need to contact studentoptions.com for answers to your questions related to their web site product offerings.
    Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:27 AM
  • I don't remember Microsoft ever having any sort of "downloadable" version of Windows XP, so I'd be particularly leary of such a thing.

Genuine Microsoft Software always has hard media in the form of disks as well as genuine product key packaging in the form of a product key sticker or COA.  If you are purchasing any kind of Microsoft software that does not include both, I'd strongly urge against it.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 2:50 AM
  • Well, they do have "downloadable" versions of Windows XP. Or, somebody made a mistake... http://www.microsoft.com/uk/academia/software/access/default.mspx . StudentOptions.com is also a Microsoft Authorised Education Reseller or something silly like that.

They only seem to reply to those have an email address they know or an order number.

Do you think they'll have Windows Vista/Office 2007 available there? Do you reckon? They should do, right?

Thursday, February 1, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Thursday, February 8, 2007 6:25 AM
  • My original comment still stands.  If you are purchasing any kind of Microsoft software that isn't accompanied by a COA or Product Key in "hard form" as well as media, you don't have a leg to stand on for any possible future issues that may occur.

If the above student discounted/downloadable versions of Windows also includes shipped media + license and product keys, only then would I recommend going with such a retailer.. and only then able to determine how genuine such versions are by closely inspecting the shipped goods prior to install/activation.  

Without those forms of proof of purchase as well as methods to determine genuine MS software vs. Pirated/copied forms, you'll be pretty much out of luck if you run into license or WGA issues down the road.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:35 PM
  • As stated above, StudentOptions is a Microsoft Authorized Education Reseller. It provides downloadable CD/DVD of Microsoft Software with Product Key (after purchase). StudentOptions is designed for European students.

The licenses and the downloadable media are genuine. It is not the first time that genuine Microsoft Software are available for legal downloads through website (eg MSDNAA via e-academy.com)
    This website is supported by Microsoft France Education :
    http://www.microsoft.com/france/education/studentoptions

This way of distribution is more cost-effective and practical for Microsoft and students. And again, it is truly legal (you pay for it !). So, from my point of view, it is a very interesting offer.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:42 AM