Validation Failure RRS feed

• Question

• This is really annoying.......... Just popped round to friends house because he has a continual update i.e This update indicates it has been installed 14 times but he still gets auto notification and it gets installed every time he powers off. 

Decided that problem may be corrupt file so decided to download fullfile version of update .....KB967715........ Before allowed to do this, validation required and the WGA file was indicated as needed to be downloaded before it could do so (?).  OK , no problem as this 3-4 year PC Dell Dimension 3100C has valid Windows XP Home Edition installed by Dell. 

All updates have been previously installed no problem, but this one is only one giving continual notification.
    Why then am I amazed that this validation has failed !!!!!??????.

I've downloaded and run MGAdiag ..........report follows. 
    Why is it showing "Blocked PID" ?.  A response from XP General forum where originally posted stated and I quote........ "The validation is always subject to failure. There are all kinds of people who use Key Generators to try and come up with a "Valid" Product ID. It's possible that the OEM key has been used by someone who generated the same key as on the PC's OEM label. Beyond that it's possible that someone actually copied the key from the PC label and used it. To resolve it you'll have to contact Microsoft and explain the situation." ......end quote

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1): ----------------------------------------- WGA Data--> Validation Status: Blocked PID Validation Code: 11 Online Validation Code: N/A Cached Validation Code: N/A Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XQ2CX-2PW33-HHHFT Windows Product Key Hash: liWJvN6s0sMtcrL0U7frjIv6jf0= Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2162012-47914 Windows Product ID Type: 3 Windows License Type: OEM System Builder Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom ID: {C96B41AD-BAB1-4F80-B675-423C731F964F}(3) Is Admin: Yes TestCab: 0x0 WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1 Signed By: Microsoft Product Name: N/A Architecture: N/A Build lab: N/A TTS Error: N/A Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1 Resolution Status: N/A WgaER Data--> ThreatID(s): N/A Version: N/A WGA Notifications Data--> Cached Result: 0 File Exists: Yes Version: 1.7.18.5 WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft OGA Notifications Data--> Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 OGA Data--> Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2 Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2 OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0 Signed By: Microsoft Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1 Browser Data--> Proxy settings: N/A User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32) Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled Active scripting: Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed File Scan Data--> Other data--> Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C96B41AD-BAB1-4F80-B675-423C731F964F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HHHFT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2162012-47914</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2443960318-1740399802-1579865453</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dell DC051                  </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060405000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B27431470184406D</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Dimension DC051</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.18.5"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.5"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57690</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  Licensing Data--> N/A HWID Data--> N/A OEM Activation 1.0 Data--> BIOS string matches: yes Marker string from BIOS: 1A925:Dell Inc|1A925:Microsoft Corporation Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005 OEM Activation 2.0 Data--> N/A

As stated,  this is a genuine copy of XP Home Edition how do I resolve this issue ????

PostScript.......Friend advised Office 2003 not valid. Apparantley he doesn't use anyway. Only uses Spreadsheet in Microsoft Works . Given a copy of Office as told would suit him better! Office to be removed.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• Barrowhill,

Thank you for posting in the WGA Forum. It is really hard to make out everything in your MGA Diagnostic Results. I noticed you have a Blocked PID for your Windows XP installation and also you have a blocked Volume licensing key for Microsoft Office Professional 2003. Please uninstall Office because it is non-genuine. Next I recommend for you to contact Dell Technical support and request them to send you a recovery media disc for your particular model. Then reformat your system using the correct disc. Please ensure you back up all your data first.

Take care and thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Barrowhill,

Can you rerun the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post the results? I will take another look @ the results.  Please look @ what you provide me. Here is one portion that I was able to extract from the results:

WGA Data--> Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2 Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

Currently your Windows XP has a blocked volumne licensing PID key used for installing XP. Next the key used for installing Office 2003 Professional was blocked by the request of a major corporation as this was their key. 

Curious can you provide me with the sources as where you purchased Office and Windows XP from? Next I would most definetly visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy and file a piracy report. Also please compare your media and Certificate of Authenticity (COA) against what you see here http://www.howtotell.com . Please report back and let me know how your COA and physical Media compare to this site. 

Thank you again Barrowhill,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:49 PM

All replies

• Barrowhill,

Thank you for posting in the WGA Forum. It is really hard to make out everything in your MGA Diagnostic Results. I noticed you have a Blocked PID for your Windows XP installation and also you have a blocked Volume licensing key for Microsoft Office Professional 2003. Please uninstall Office because it is non-genuine. Next I recommend for you to contact Dell Technical support and request them to send you a recovery media disc for your particular model. Then reformat your system using the correct disc. Please ensure you back up all your data first.

Take care and thank you,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Stephen,

Apolgies for way MGA report looks on post .  As I'm posting  on my own machine I'd copied and pasted from original post at XP General Newsgroup; not at friends house to run and post MGA directly from his machine ........

My friend has been advised re Office 2003 as I'd identified in my post. 

Your solution seems overly drastic re XP authentication. 

His copy of XP home Edition is, without question, Genuine. 

There was no problem when automatic updates were switched on.  Everything worked fine until one update continually kept updating i.e I counted 14 times KB967715 had been installed.  As this would continually be installed everytime he powered off, I turned off auto updates and, as it was the only outstanding update, checked box not to show this anymore.

It was only when I decided to try and install the fullfile version of KB967715 and download it manually that the authentication problem occured. To me, problem lies with manual downloads and WGA associated with that - WGA was required to be downloaded as part of authentication process.  Is it current WGA ?? are they different for auto and manual updates ???  

It will be interesting to see how updates will be handled next patch Tuesday.  I won't be surprised when auto updates works.

There must be better and simpler solution than the one you propose 

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Barrowhill,

Can you rerun the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post the results? I will take another look @ the results.  Please look @ what you provide me. Here is one portion that I was able to extract from the results:

WGA Data--> Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2 Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

Currently your Windows XP has a blocked volumne licensing PID key used for installing XP. Next the key used for installing Office 2003 Professional was blocked by the request of a major corporation as this was their key. 

Curious can you provide me with the sources as where you purchased Office and Windows XP from? Next I would most definetly visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy and file a piracy report. Also please compare your media and Certificate of Authenticity (COA) against what you see here http://www.howtotell.com . Please report back and let me know how your COA and physical Media compare to this site. 

Thank you again Barrowhill,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for your continued interest in this issue.  I need to arrange to go round to friends house where I'll run MGA and post from his machine.

Reference the two issues you raise...........

1)  XP is, as I've stated, Genuine.  Windows XP was pre-installed by Dell.  The PC - Dell Demension 3100c, was purchased directly from them 3 - 4 years ago, in the days when that was the only way you could purhase a Dell machine.  The COA on the unit is Genuine. I've confirmed this. Dell install a recovery partition on Hard Drive and provide  Recovery CD to restore to factory settings

2) Office 2003 is confirmed  not to be a valid copy.  I've explained this to him and that he needs to remove it. As previously explained, it was offered to him as a better alternative to Works (not by me I hasten to add).  He only ever used Works Spreadsheet and continues to do so - does simple accounts for his Masonic Lodge.

As I also said previously, it was only when I decided to try and install the fullfile version of KB967715 and download it manually that the authentication problem occured. It was the only outstanding update.  There were no other high priority, optional software or optional hardware updates required.  Apart from this one update, it is totally, totally up to date. Knowing my friend (84years old!) this is probably the first time a manual download of a windows update has ever been undertaken!

To me, problem lies with manual downloads and the WGA associated with that - WGA was required to be downloaded as part of authentication process.  Is it current WGA ?? are they different for auto and manual updates ???  Comment please.

Reformatting and restoring to factory settings is not seen as the solution.

I'll post MGA as soon as possible.

Thanks for help

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Morning Barrowhill,

Your very welcome. Let me share with you that your Windows is not genuine @ this moment according to the MGA Diagnostic Results. I would ask your friend if he has ever taken in the computer to a local repair shop for repairs. Sometimes when a customer gets their machine back it was installed with either a blocked VLK or even a Geo blocked VLK. Please ask him this and if it was then I would recommend you help him back up all his critical data and use the restoration disc and perform a complete system restoration. Also check and validate the recovery partition is still available. I will wait for you to provide us with another MGA results where I can read it better and see where things stand. 

Share with the brother he can purchase the OGA kit which should have been offered to him once he failed the OGA Validation. It would be offered at roughly half the cost of the original version "I think". Also there are other versions available that are not so expensive.

Lets see where things reside after you rerun the MGA Diagnostic and post back. Installing an udated would not caused a GeoBlocked VLK to happen. Sounds like maybe this system was sent to a repair shop @ one point.

Post back when ya can Barrowhill,

Stephen
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for support.  Around friends house and MGA re-run.  See following report and please note that Office 2003 has been removed.

To address your point re repair.  This machine has never been to a local repair shop for repairs

I've run a keyfinder and note that the PID shown by MGADiag is not the same as PID shown in keyfinder (Magic Jelly Bean)  The 7 digits following OEM are different?  any significance?  Also Product Key different but I assume that MGADiag shows OEM build key which would be different from key shown on COA stuck on PC case.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Validation Code: 11
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XQ2CX-2PW33-HHHFT
    Windows Product Key Hash: liWJvN6s0sMtcrL0U7frjIv6jf0=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2162012-47914
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {C96B41AD-BAB1-4F80-B675-423C731F964F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C96B41AD-BAB1-4F80-B675-423C731F964F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HHHFT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2162012-47914</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2443960318-1740399802-1579865453</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dell DC051                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060405000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B27431470184406D</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Dimension DC051</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.18.5"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.5"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1A925:Dell Inc|1A925:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hey Barrowhill,

No problem and thank you for taking the opportunity to re-run the MGA Diagnostic Tool on your friends system. Barrowhill, unfortunately it still shows the same blocked PID key for Windows Home. Are the digits on his COA sticker different than what is shown on the MGA Diag results?  Here is what the results show XQ2CX-2PW33-HHHFT.  Please do not post his COA key just let me know if the digits are different.  Please tell me exactly where your friend purchased the Dell computer. Did he purchase from a local shop, non-Dell website, or another source.What is more interesting is the following line of the MGA Diagnostic results:

Windows License Type:
    OEM System Builder

Major manufacturers use an OEM-SLP method for installing Windows operating systems. This is why I am stumped because major manufacturers use the OEM System Builder installation process. Also this is why I previously asked where the system was purchased from as well as was it ever turned into a shop or repaired by any other sources.  Let me provide you with a brief description.

OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

Thank you again

Stephen :-)

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Stephen,

I had indicated that the Product Key was different in my repost of MGADiag quote "........Also Product Key different but I assume that MGADiag shows OEM build key which would be different from key shown on COA stuck on PC case"

As also previously indicated he purchased directly from Dell here in UK.  3 - 4 years ago Dell did not sell via retail outlets.  You could only purchase directly from them.  I assume therefore it was a purchase from Dell's web site

I'm not sure I understand OEM-SLP.  This computer was built by a large commercial manufacturer - Dell.  There are two (2) keys.  If I use a keyfinder the one it finds is is different from the one on the COA sticker.  From this I understand the one shown via keyfinder is what you call the SLP. The fact that the License Type says it's "OEM System Builder" I take it that is what a company like Dell would be described as.

To say I'm confused is an understatement. 

I'd previously indicated that the PC has not been returned to a shop for repair and this is true.  One point you raise that I haven't asked , quote "....or repaired by any other sources..."  I need to ask this question.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Morning Barrowhill,

My apologizes didn't mean to confuse you. Please do me a favor and visit http://www.howtotell.com . Here you can view different COA's and you should be able to get a deeper expaination. Please locate Browse Popular Products in the center of the page. There are drop down boxes. Select the operating system. Next select purchased preinstalled or with computer. You will be given an example as what the COA should look like. 

Also you can visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx and try to update the product key with what appears on y our COA. Also it is important to find out if the computer was repaired by any other sources so when you find out let me know. As I said previously sometimes when computers get repaired "no matter the source or whom repairs" the original software may not have been used. Suddenly after a week, month, year or even years the product key comes up as blocked etc. This happens often.  Unfortunately in this situation you may have to contact Dell Technical Support and request them to send you the original software which originally came with the system and perform a complete restoration. This is a lot of work Barrowhill and I totally understand it.

First ask your friend and also try the product key changer and change the key to the one reflected on your COA. If this doesn't work then I recommend getting the right media from Dell and reformat.

Let me know

Stephen
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:44 PM
  •  Stephen,

Thanks for response.

COA is genuine; of that there is no doubt.

Discussed further "repair" of PC  and as reported previously, it has not been taken to a repair outlet.  However............what I was not told was that a house call had been made.  I don't know specific details of problem (he is 80 odd)  but what I gather is that recovery CD was unavailable.  Technician had asked for it.  So assume he repaired using some other means.  Recovery CD is available; had been misplaced and found not where it should of been.  Will try changing product key as this seen as  simplest solution since he has a valid key.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:56 PM