none
How to start helping others in Forums RRS feed

• Question

• I've been receiving help from others in Forums for a little while now, and I think it's time I started to give back.

What is this point system I see in so many places?

What is a good way to start reviewing questions and providing assistance where I can?

I assume there is a way to review new posts.  Should I just "join", I'm not sure what that means, a forum when I have knowledge, and look for new posts?

I'm willing to spend my time and lend my knowledge to help others, as so many others have helped me.  I could use a little advice regarding how to get started.

Thanks much,

GBear

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi there,   

If you click on your profile, and click on the FAQ link, you will get a great resource explaining what the point system is and how to utilize it.   Mostly, the point system is about providing answers to people, and having them marked as answers by the person who asked the question.

As for a way to start reviewing and answering questions,  either choose a forum to stick to, or like me, just keep it on the general page, and review the questions.  When you see a question you have an answer for, click reply and answer it.  I don't believe there is a set protocol for providing the answer.    When you answer a question, you can click on the "Alert me" link, to receive emails when new reply's are posted. 

When I joined a couple months ago, I first posted a question, then just stuck around and eventually saw some questions I had an answer for.  This is what started me on the path of becoming a knowledgeable person who can answer the questions in the Forum.   I am sure everyone will appreciate your knowledge base, and will appreciate your answers. 

I am not sure if I answered your questions, but I do hope this helps.  

• Marked as answer by GBear-BD Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi there,   

If you click on your profile, and click on the FAQ link, you will get a great resource explaining what the point system is and how to utilize it.   Mostly, the point system is about providing answers to people, and having them marked as answers by the person who asked the question.

As for a way to start reviewing and answering questions,  either choose a forum to stick to, or like me, just keep it on the general page, and review the questions.  When you see a question you have an answer for, click reply and answer it.  I don't believe there is a set protocol for providing the answer.    When you answer a question, you can click on the "Alert me" link, to receive emails when new reply's are posted. 

When I joined a couple months ago, I first posted a question, then just stuck around and eventually saw some questions I had an answer for.  This is what started me on the path of becoming a knowledgeable person who can answer the questions in the Forum.   I am sure everyone will appreciate your knowledge base, and will appreciate your answers. 

I am not sure if I answered your questions, but I do hope this helps.  

• Marked as answer by GBear-BD Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Thanks Scott:

When I reply with what I think is an answer, should I start by clicking on 'Propose an Answer'?

I will go to my profile and read about the points system.

Thanks for the advice,

GBear

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:13 PM
  • I personally do not mark my posts as "propose an Answer" I let the person who asked the question do so, or a moderater do so.    And, many people in their signature have a reminder to mark the post as an answer if it was helpful and did answer the question.  Also, some people put this in their posts, especially for people new to the forums. 

You can propose your reply's as answers, but remember, the person who asked the question has the final say, and can either mark your reply as an answer, or un-propose it. 

I can really only comment on myself, but again, I do not mark my replies as an answer, or propose them as such,  I let the community take care of that.  

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:19 PM
  • It is best not to mark your own reply with "Propose as answer". The exception would be if the thread has seen no activity for several days and no one else has provided help. Then you might propose your reply as a reminder to the OP (and moderators) that you think you answered the question. Of course it is appreciated if you mark other people's replies "Propose as answer" if you believe it answers the question. If the OP never comes back or never acknowledges the answer, it helps moderators to know that someone else (besides themselves) agrees that the reply is the answer. In all cases, the desired outcome is for the OP to mark the answer.

Different moderators have different policies, but in the forums I moderate I wait 7 days after a reply is proposed as the answer before I mark it as the answer (assuming I agree it answers the question). This gives the OP (original poster) adequate time to respond, although it makes moderating more difficult.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, December 13, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Very helpful, thank you

Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:09 PM
  • The community in general doesn't like self-proposing. I suggest to just keep answering and eventually your efforts will be recognized.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:39 PM