Can you edit the default Quote entity or make new? CRM2011 RRS feed

• Question

• What are the implications of this? We'd like to remove things like the Price List requirement and instead of listing and calculating on Products, we want to list and calculate on custom entities, either a Truck entity or Trailer entity depending on what the quote is for.

When I created the entities, I checked the option for Quotes and so there is a Quotes section under Common. I make a quote and it lists the Truck Serial as a field on the quote, we'd like the pricing to pull from that truck instead of from the list of products... is it even possible to edit the Quote entity in that way? since it means editing the buttons on the ribbon and the coding they trigger, etc.  and I'm guessing the default stuff is a managed solution that won't let you do that.

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:27 PM

Answers

• You can modify the out of the box Quote entity which might be useful if you wanted to stay close the pre-defined sales process (Lead -> Opportunity -> Quote -> Order -> Invoice) type of thing. But as a general rule, they are tied to products in the product catalog and isn't able to be changed. You've probably figured out you can change the form fields and the ribbon can be edited but since you are looking to drastically change the functionality it would probably be easier to create custom entities and use the SDK to replicate some of the calculations and other functionality that the out of the box entities provide.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Friday, March 15, 2013 10:02 PM

All replies

• You can modify the out of the box Quote entity which might be useful if you wanted to stay close the pre-defined sales process (Lead -> Opportunity -> Quote -> Order -> Invoice) type of thing. But as a general rule, they are tied to products in the product catalog and isn't able to be changed. You've probably figured out you can change the form fields and the ribbon can be edited but since you are looking to drastically change the functionality it would probably be easier to create custom entities and use the SDK to replicate some of the calculations and other functionality that the out of the box entities provide.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Friday, March 15, 2013 10:02 PM
  • We've decided to try to stick to using the out of the box  quotes. The only thing we need to edit is that the calculations have to take the Total Price attribute from a Truck we select in a lookup field on the quote form. Right now the quote only calculates the price of stuff listed in the Quote Products subgrid.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:46 PM