Need to setup Share after disconnecting and reconnecting drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• Steve, whenever I turn off the external drive and then I turn it on again, the drive is no longer shared. This implies that I have to reconfigure the drive to be shared again every time I turn it off [for two computers]. Could you pls provide any solutions for this?

Andrea

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:39 AM

All replies

• Andrea, are you also disconnecting and reconnecting the drive, perhaps to a different USB port? As long as the drive is reconnected to the same port, Windows should "remember" the drive and the shares. powering it off and on again should not be affected by powering it off and on or rebooting the PC.

When you say that it is no longer shared, can you clarify? Once it has been powered back on, you can't access the drive from any other PC in Windows Explorer?

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:45 PM
  • As I said in a previous post my external drive is connected via RJ45 on my router however the drive is configured (via the provided software) as being an internal drive. For the drive to be connected to the network and hence recognised by OneCare, the drive itself needs to be shared across the network. Hope it's clear now.

Andrea

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:08 PM
  • Okay, then. So, we're talking about a device that is actually an NAS - Network Attached Storage, but in a funky way, the software provided with this drive is setting it up to appear as an internal drive.

Excluding OneCare for a moment, when you configure the Share in Windows Explorer, it would seem that those properties are not retained when the drive is restarted. I suspect that the file system on the external drive (the NAS) may not be NTFS due to the software in use to make it function.

I assume that you are connecting it to the router because the PC is not always on? Are you backing up multiple PCs or only the PC that is the "host" with the software that makes the NAS appear as an internal drive?

Do you have the option to attach the drive to the PC as a simple USB external and format it as NTFS?

What is the manufacturer/model of this NAS drive?

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:36 PM