One drive is 96% full, the other is 32% full RRS feed

• Question

• I just copied 60GB of MP3s from my wife's PC to my WHS (HP MediaSmart Server). There are two drives in the server, and both are 500GB. After copying the files, I started getting a "there is not enough space" error. The only way to stop the error was to turn off the duplication for the Music folder.

The console tells me that I have 332.32GB of space free across both drives, and that both of them are healthy.

I RDCed into the server and checked My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management. This is what is reported:

DATA - 465.75 GB Capacity - 21.93 GB Free Space (4% free)
    DATA (D:) - 445.75 GB Capacity - 305.40 GB Free Space (68% free)
    SYS (C:) - 20.00 GB Capacity - 14.42 GB Free Space (72% free)

The console says that the storage was last balanced 20 minutes ago. Isn't the storage balance supposed to deal with this specific issue?
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:41 AM

Answers

• Adding the external HDD to the server fixed the problem. Now that music folder is replicating properly.

I've got to admit that I still don't understand why it didn't work when there is ample room across the two drives, but I'll just take this as-is.

Thanks again to both of you.
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:34 PM
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:34 PM

All replies

• i think since u only have two drives that WHS will try to use the non-sys drive to store as much as possible before using the space D since this is used for the landing zone when moving files to the server.  if your pool drives are almost full and the only other drive is you sys which is smaller than your pool drive then you'll get this error because there is not enough space to duplicate all the files that you have requested to be duplicated.  i'd add more drives to you setup if possible, at least another 500gb drive then the duplication will be on the 2 500 gb poll drives and less on the sys.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Will Diaz said:

I just copied 60GB of MP3s from my wife's PC to my WHS (HP MediaSmart Server). There are two drives in the server, and both are 500GB. After copying the files, I started getting a "there is not enough space" error. The only way to stop the error was to turn off the duplication for the Music folder.

The console tells me that I have 332.32GB of space free across both drives, and that both of them are healthy.

I RDCed into the server and checked My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management. This is what is reported:

DATA - 465.75 GB Capacity - 21.93 GB Free Space (4% free)
    DATA (D:) - 445.75 GB Capacity - 305.40 GB Free Space (68% free)
    SYS (C:) - 20.00 GB Capacity - 14.42 GB Free Space (72% free)

The console says that the storage was last balanced 20 minutes ago. Isn't the storage balance supposed to deal with this specific issue?

No.  WHS doesn't "balance" data at all.  It uses the drive with the least free space first (to keep groups of files together) and to keep the backup database on a single drive.  My guess is that your backup database is on your secondary drive, which is taking up room on it and therefore not allowing your server the needed space to create the alternate shadows for Folder Duplication.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:09 AM
  • kariya21 said:

No.  WHS doesn't "balance" data at all.  It uses the drive with the least free space first (to keep groups of files together) and to keep the backup database on a single drive.  My guess is that your backup database is on your secondary drive, which is taking up room on it and therefore not allowing your server the needed space to create the alternate shadows for Folder Duplication.

Ah, I never would've guessed that. Clearly I don't understand that magic that the WHS does.

ncinsguy said:

i think since u only have two drives that WHS will try to use the non-sys drive to store as much as possible before using the space D since this is used for the landing zone when moving files to the server.  if your pool drives are almost full and the only other drive is you sys which is smaller than your pool drive then you'll get this error because there is not enough space to duplicate all the files that you have requested to be duplicated.  i'd add more drives to you setup if possible, at least another 500gb drive then the duplication will be on the 2 500 gb poll drives and less on the sys.

I have had my eye on a pair of 720GB HDDs for a while, so maybe I should just take the plunge and see if that helps the situation.

In the meantime, what's the best course of action?
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:29 AM
  • i would at least add another 500gb for now, they can be had for $80-$90 for external usb drives at BB, CC, Office Depot on sale every week, they are easy to add but are slower than sata, or u could take the drive out of the enclosure and add it internally to ur WHS.  that's the quick fix then shop around for some larger drives.  prices are coming down since the 1.5 and 2tb drives are out now.

btw i just check my free space and my sys drive has the most space available 21% compared to less than 10% on my other 5 drives.  total 4.6TB with 232GB free with two more 1TB drives arriving tomorrow.
    • Edited by ncinsguy Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:55 AM
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:47 AM
  • ncinsguy said:

i would at least add another 500gb for now, they can be had for $80-$90 for external usb drives at BB, CC, Office Depot on sale every week

I would avoid using USB drives as part of the storage pool.  A number of users have had issues with external USB drives "disapparing" (perhaps due to some power saving features of the drives).

ncinsguy said:

they are easy to add but are slower than sata, or u could take the drive out of the enclosure and add it internally to ur WHS.  that's the quick fix then shop around for some larger drives.  prices are coming down since the 1.5 and 2tb drives are out now.

2 TB in a single drive (not 2 drives combined in a storage box)?  Where did you see those?

Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:58 AM
  • kariya21 said:

I would avoid using USB drives as part of the storage pool.  A number of users have had issues with external USB drives "disapparing" (perhaps due to some power saving features of the drives).

I've had this happen before with the external USB drives I have connected to the WHS,  when I had them as part of the storage pool.

Despite this experience and kariya21's advice, I am still adding one of the USB drives as part of the storage pool (instead of as a server backup drive) for the time being. This is strictly temporary; once I get another HDD or two to drop into the WHS, I will remove the USB drive.

Thank you both for the advice. I'll post my results when I get them.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:48 PM
  • i have a 1tb external hooked up to one of my builds in the pool and i haven't had an issue with it for 3 months i've used it with WHS...good luck
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Adding the external HDD to the server fixed the problem. Now that music folder is replicating properly.

I've got to admit that I still don't understand why it didn't work when there is ample room across the two drives, but I'll just take this as-is.

Thanks again to both of you.
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:34 PM
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:34 PM