none
Number of installs for activation RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a computer about a year ago which came with Windows XP pre-installed as well as the Reinstallation CD.  Since that time I've had to reinstall the OS 5 times because of problems with one thing or another.  The first 4 times I had no problem.  The last time, however, is giving me problems with activating my copy of Windows.  When I try to av\ctivate over the internet I get the message that the maximum number of activations allowed with my CD key has been reached and that I should call customer service.  Since I don't have a phone at my place this presents a problem since I will need to be in front of my computer to activate over the phone.  What should I do?
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:54 AM

Answers

• Take your computer to a friend's house that has a telephone and activate by phone.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:04 PM
  • RTD,

The most difficult part will be locating a phone in order to follow the guidance below. Please follow the steps below and if you need further assistance please re-post.

Stephen Holm, MS

How to Activate Windows XP by Phone
    Contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click “Start”, point to “All Programs”', point to “'Accessories”, point to “System Tools”, and then click “Activate Windows”. Or simply click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click “Next”.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

"You have successfully activated your copy of Windows".

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:58 PM
  • I can call but the problem is that I will have to do it by a pay phone.  The only problem with this is if the customer support representative asks me to change the key and give him the new ID number that appears.  If I don't have to change the ID number then it will be alright.

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:57 AM
  • The problem with that, unfortunately, is that I just moved to the area and haven't made any friends yet.  Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:59 AM
  • RTD,

Sounds like you are in a complicated situation. Try and borrow a cell phone. Because of the amout of times you have activated the OS you will have to activate by phone. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Complicated, yes!  One of my questions is - if I buy a computer with the OS installed, don't I also buy the OS that's on the computer?  Sounjds like Microsoft just wants to make money on this.  That's something that I can't afford.

Monday, July 23, 2007 4:49 AM
  • RTD,

You buy a license to use the OS in accordance with the license terms.

Windows Product Activation is clearly spelled out in the license terms.

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:35 PM

All replies

• Take your computer to a friend's house that has a telephone and activate by phone.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:04 PM
  • RTD,

The most difficult part will be locating a phone in order to follow the guidance below. Please follow the steps below and if you need further assistance please re-post.

Stephen Holm, MS

How to Activate Windows XP by Phone
    Contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click “Start”, point to “All Programs”', point to “'Accessories”, point to “System Tools”, and then click “Activate Windows”. Or simply click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click “Next”.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

"You have successfully activated your copy of Windows".

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:58 PM
  • I can call but the problem is that I will have to do it by a pay phone.  The only problem with this is if the customer support representative asks me to change the key and give him the new ID number that appears.  If I don't have to change the ID number then it will be alright.

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:57 AM
  • The problem with that, unfortunately, is that I just moved to the area and haven't made any friends yet.  Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:59 AM
  • RTD,

Sounds like you are in a complicated situation. Try and borrow a cell phone. Because of the amout of times you have activated the OS you will have to activate by phone. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Complicated, yes!  One of my questions is - if I buy a computer with the OS installed, don't I also buy the OS that's on the computer?  Sounjds like Microsoft just wants to make money on this.  That's something that I can't afford.

Monday, July 23, 2007 4:49 AM
  • RTD,

You buy a license to use the OS in accordance with the license terms.

Windows Product Activation is clearly spelled out in the license terms.

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:35 PM