How do I deploy plugins in Dynamics 365? RRS feed

• Question

• We used to deploy plugins in CRM 2011 and CRM 2016 using a package deployment project that was created with the old developer toolkit. The general steps for doing this was to use ILMerge to merge our plugin dll and its assemblies into a single file and use RegisterFile.crmregister to manage the steps of each plugin. From there we could right-click on the package project within Visual Studio, choose deploy, cross our fingers and hope the deployment succeeds.

Now that the old developer toolkit is incompatible with Dynamics 365, I am attempting to use the new Developer Toolkit to create a new package project to deploy plugins. I've gotten as far as to create the project, but using the steps from the old RegisterFile.crmregister is a no-go. I simply get the error message "Error: The operation could not be completed"

From the looks of things, the old crmregister file is incompatible with the new stuff.

Does anyone have any experience deploying plugins to Dynamics 365? We have somewhere around 100 plugins, each with various numbers of steps, so doing this manually through the plugin registration tool is not an option.

I'm using Visual Studio 2012 and connecting to an on-premise Dynamics 365 org.

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:37 PM

All replies

• Why don’t you create a solution and add your plugins (assemblies and message processing steps) into it?

Then you can export and import to your target environment.

Sachith Chandrasiri

Monday, May 29, 2017 12:33 AM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by this. By "create a solution", do you mean a new Visual Studio solution or a CRM solution? Either way, how would I go about managing the assemblies and message processing steps? Can it be done as part of a build step?
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 5:10 PM
  • You must be having a CRM environment where your plugins are registered ya?? either 2011 or 2016..

I mean create a CRM solution there. . Then click assembiles and add existing and add your assembiles. Same way add the message processing steps. (these are the plugin steps) then export the solution and import to your target environment.

Sachith Chandrasiri

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:10 PM