After PP3 Backups not mounted RRS feed

• Question

• After applying PP3, I cannot mount some of my backups. I have two drives on the affected machine. Some of the backups will mount the C: drive, but not the D: drive. Some of the backups will not mount the C: drive or the D: drive. Some of the backups will mount the D: drive but not the C: drive.

In the past, I have had to delete the unmountable backups to get back to a point where I can mount both drives from a single backup and then make a manual backup at that point. This time I cannot find a good backup. I hate to delete all of my backups in case I have a problem later.

Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:30 PM

Answers

• The Home Networking technical brief includes, I believe, information about what ports need to be open. That you have this problem when Zone Alarm is active, and you don't when it's not, points to an issue with firewall configuration on that client...
    Link to the Home Networking technical brief:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/6/6/d66fdc35-519b-4768-8c68-06804fb61bf7/Windows%20Home%20Server%20Technical%20%20Brief%20-%20Home%20Networking.docx
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:50 PM

All replies

• Well, after rebooting the WHS box and my Vista 64-bit box, I am now able to open and browse my old backups. I am not sure what is going on, but it seems to be OK at the present time.

Sorry about the quick post without at least rebooting. After the install of PP3 on the WHS, it rebooted. I run Windows Update on it and it installed an update for server 2003 and I rebooted after that.

The Vista 64-bit box did not upgrade the connector software automatically, so I uninstalled the old connector and installed the new connector manually. It did not want to install until after I had rebooted after the uninstall.

After I had that up and running I checked the backups to see if they would open and that is where I found most would not open.

I thought WTH, I will try rebooting both again and to my suprise, backups which would give an error message of "Backup could not be mounted" will now open fine.
    • Marked as answer by randavis Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by randavis Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:23 PM
  • My problem has reappeared. I cannot open any backups unless I turn off Zone Alarm Pro. I have looked through the programs section of ZA and have allowed all entries pertaining  to WHS. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:04 AM
  • The Home Networking technical brief includes, I believe, information about what ports need to be open. That you have this problem when Zone Alarm is active, and you don't when it's not, points to an issue with firewall configuration on that client...
    Link to the Home Networking technical brief:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/6/6/d66fdc35-519b-4768-8c68-06804fb61bf7/Windows%20Home%20Server%20Technical%20%20Brief%20-%20Home%20Networking.docx
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:50 PM