none
Color text, clickable link, preview message, better code block

Question

• Hi,

I think it would be useful to implement the usability standards like other forums. When writing a message, it should be possible to

1- select a block of text and apply an effect, example: change the font color or font size

2- when there is a link, this must be clickable.

3- possibility to preview a message before post

4- improve the "Insert Code Block" feature, it added strange extra line breaks and line wrap effects it becomes less readable than the original text. A simple [code] tag with fixed space fonts like others forum should be enough.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

• Edited by TiPi Friday, December 25, 2009 7:40 PM enumerate item list to make it compatible with Dave's answer below, thanks.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• 1. Disagree, and I would remove the HTML editor capability. All posts should be formatted in a simple manner, using the same colors and fonts.

2. Agree completely [Actually, last time I checked, links posted with IE were clickable, but those from FireFox were not.]

3. Preview should not really be be necessary, because editor is almost WYSIWYG. I would rather fix the editor to be rigorously WYSIWYG.

4. Agree completely. Code editor is a train wreck. I never use it.
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, December 25, 2009 12:50 PM
  • 1. Disagree, and I would remove the HTML editor capability. All posts should be formatted in a simple manner, using the same colors and fonts.
    May be you were thinking about the people who intentionally decorate their posts with the psychedelic effects on weird font size and colors. Here in MSDN forums, I don't think members will have time to play with these crazy effects. In a long post, when you want to make some important words to stand out, the color will help.

Personally, I think a clear description will be greatly helped by a clear layout of the message. That makes the job easier for the reader to whom actually the poster is soliciting help. You see what I mean when text color is possible in this forum.

Of course, preview is not useful currently because links are not clickable, minimal font attributes, powerful tags such as [quote] or [code] are not rendered. What you type is almost the final text.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 7:38 PM