whs console shows desktop of server not console RRS feed

• Question

• I just updated to the 120 day eval from the 30 day. Everyting was working fine from my desktop (XP home) and laptop (Vista Home premium) with connecting to the server via the WHS connector and 'seeing' the WHS console. Now when I try to connect to the server through the WHS connecter on my desktop and laptop I see/get the desktop of the server not the WHS console that I used to get. Any ideas what changed? It is more like I am connect via some remote desktop service.
    thanks
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:14 AM

Answers

• PP2 already installed.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled connector from both machines, no difference.
    I reinstalled WHS on server and when I reconnected all was normal
    Problem solved, not sure why.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:20 PM

All replies

• WHSevaluation said:

I just updated to the 120 day eval from the 30 day. Everyting was working fine from my desktop (XP home) and laptop (Vista Home premium) with connecting to the server via the WHS connector and 'seeing' the WHS console. Now when I try to connect to the server through the WHS connecter on my desktop and laptop I see/get the desktop of the server not the WHS console that I used to get. Any ideas what changed? It is more like I am connect via some remote desktop service.
    thanks

Did you recently install any apps on the clients or server?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:17 AM
  • The console is based on a Remote Desktop session.
    Did you change the properties of the Terminal Services configuration on the server? This might explain the changed behavior.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:10 AM
  • I have not installed any apps outside of WHS but I did install the free Avast antivirus add-in around the same time, The other add-ins installed are the WHS toolkit 1.1,  the WHS disk management add-in, WHS backup datatbase add-in. Nothing else has changed as far as I know. Nothing changed on clients either. I dont adjust settings much I just want it too work. 
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Thanks, I don't even know what Terminal Services are. Once I get to the server desktop is it OK to launch the WHS console from there? or is a different instance of the program?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:48 AM
  • WHSevaluation said:

... Once I get to the server desktop is it OK to launch the WHS console from there? ...

Yes; it's the same program, and it's really running in the same fashion. You shouldn't have to do this, however.

You say you installed avast! Did you install the Windows Home Server version? The free version is not intended for use on Windows Home Server, and may cause problems (such as the one you're experiencing) if installed on your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:59 PM
  • WHSevaluation said:

[... when I try to connect to the server through the WHS connecter on my desktop and laptop I see/get the desktop of the server not the WHS console [...

This can happen when the console session that was running the WHS Console failed to close (i.e. Console crashed leaving the desktop).

When starting the console it will reconnect to the running session (now at the desktop). If this is the case the easiest why out is "resetting" the Windows Home Server Console or restarting the server.

If this does not help; login to the servers desktop through RDP and check if the console can be started from there?
    Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:14 PM
  • Did you already apply Power Pack 2 (if your WHS is English language version)? Did this installation solve the problem?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:18 PM
  • PP2 already installed.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled connector from both machines, no difference.
    I reinstalled WHS on server and when I reconnected all was normal
    Problem solved, not sure why.
  • Reinstallation of WHS solved problem.
    thanks
  • I installed demo version for WHS. Uninstalled everything and reinstalled WHS and problem was gone.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:21 PM
  • I just updated to the 120 day eval from the 30 day. Everyting was working fine from my desktop (XP home) and laptop (Vista Home premium) with connecting to the server via the WHS connector and 'seeing' the WHS console. Now when I try to connect to the server through the WHS connecter on my desktop and laptop I see/get the desktop of the server not the WHS console that I used to get. Any ideas what changed? It is more like I am connect via some remote desktop service.
    thanks
    1. If you Remote in (in a headless setup, ie., no monitor,keyboard, mouse system) or Locally if you have the input/output devices to do so (probably the best method since you wont inadvertently kick yourself off, but not an option for my acer easystore.

2. Go to control panel > Administrative tools > Terminal Services Manager

3. Log Off any of the of the listings in the USERS Tab that are running. This will disconnect you if you log yourself off.

It may work to just reset the session in the Sessions Tab. But the above method worked for me.

Anyone have any input on this please drop me a note. rmccord25@live.com
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:47 PM
  • When the desktop shows instead of the console, log off the user (Administrator) from the Start button on the desktop showing in the console. This will disconnect your console session. Connect again using the console and it should be back to normal.

• Proposed as answer by KenProCan Monday, November 1, 2010 5:39 AM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 5:39 AM