crm 2011 multiple organisations with different email domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am planing for CRM 4 to CRM 2011 upgrade, mean time we need to keep multiple organisations in new version. do we need to have same active directory for emails? Or does CRM 2011 can hold multiple organaisations with their own email(different  domains).

this question sounds like bit silly because multiple during confiurations all organisations will be created it same server ?

but just thought gather experts opinions...

your ideas please

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:17 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure I do understand your question but I'll do my best to provide some insight: 

- All the Servers in your CRM 2011 deployment must be in the same Active Directory domain. But your CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 deployments can be in different domains. 

- Users added to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Organizations can come from different Active Directory domains or forests. 

- Emails configuration can come from anywhere and doesn't need to rely on Active Directory. For example, you may wish to integrate with POP3 and SMTP servers for Incoming and Outgoing Emails. Those configurations must be done at the Email Router level.  

Hope this helps,

If you would like me to give more details on anything feel free to ask, 

Maxime

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:58 PM
  • thanks, I need to know can I have multiple organisations but each organisation may have different AD domains ? I am going to use one server for crm application, database and sql reporting service.

hope this is more clear?

thanks

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

Well, the users accounts that will be added to each of those organizations can come from different Active Directory Domains. So the answer would be yes: You could have organizations configured with users from different domains. 

To have users from different domains into different organizations, you will have to configure either Trust between those domains or configure Claims Based Authentication in your deployment.

For more info check the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 and Claims-based Authentication.docx"  on http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3621

Am I closer to something that may help you? 

Max

• Proposed as answer by MaximeFortier Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:07 PM