Passwords and Usrers RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS fro a couple of weeks now and I have run into a problem that there may be a simple solution for. I have a desktop (Office) and a Notebook(Kitchen) and my server. Out of habit when I set up the two pc's I used the same user account(BXXXX) with no passwords becuase no one in my family likes to remember passwords etc..

Ok,now comes WHS and I give it a password that I use to access it from the console and that works great. It also has one user account (BXXXX), I added this user account from the notebook (Kitchen) and gave my notebook account (BXXXX) a password because WHS asked me to so the password would match the (BXXXXX) account on WHS.

Ok, Now on my office PC I get an error from WS that the passwords do not match, I suspect because the user account on my office PC is the same as thenotebook (BXXXX) but the office pc does not have a password. So do I use the same password as the Notebook or do I have to create an entirely diferent user account which would be a major hassle.

This might be confusing and I would be happy to offer additional information.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Friday, August 10, 2007 1:10 PM

Answers

• Just make all of the non WHS PC in your house have the same username AND password and everything will be fine. Just make sure that the computer names are different so that WHS can back them all up seperately.

Erik

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:31 PM

All replies

• Just make all of the non WHS PC in your house have the same username AND password and everything will be fine. Just make sure that the computer names are different so that WHS can back them all up seperately.

Erik

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:31 PM
  • Gotcha, thanks for the information, it got a little confusing and then when I added in remote access I thought I had better check with the group.

Bryan
    Friday, August 10, 2007 1:47 PM
  • If you want to keep user accounts with no passwords from within the home, then you can change the Password Policy via the WIndows Home Server Console - Settings - Passwords - and set it to weak.

You can create 1 or more separate accounts to use for Remote Access to your home.  As users with remote access have to have a complex password.  I only have 1 remote access account set up and it is different from my internal user accounts - as I don't like to have passwords within the home either ...

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:30 PM