OT: Rants about forum software RRS feed

• General discussion

• As much as I enjoy reading the appreciative comments in other threads, I have to wonder how many people (especially those responsible for this mess) are missing out. How about if we consolidate things here so that everyone can take part? I'll start...

Does anyone else have a disappearing cursor when they post replies? I can see it normally when I write a question, but it goes missing if I try to reply! I just have to click where I want and trust that I got it in the right place. This is really aggravating if I go back to edit my reply before posting. What in the world is that all about?

There, I feel better now.

Jim

• Moved by Lori Dirks Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:19 AM Moved to the correct forum (From:Expression Web and SuperPreview)
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:46 PM

All replies

• (copied from my reply in the 'Canvas' thread)...Is it just me...?

In my setup for the forum, I have just a listing of the topics with poster's name and the name of the most recent poster. When I click on the little triangle to the left to expand the thread it will not show the most recent post. I have to then open the whole thread by clicking the post title. I noticed this after the last update, and it drives me nuts!

Also, I have posts that don't post. The little sprocket thingie goes round and round, and when it will stop, no one knows.  So, I've gotten in the habit of copying the text I've just written so that I can try again. Arrgh!

So far, I haven't seen the 'post shows up, and then goes away' syndrome. I'll speak up, if it does

To our forum developers: PLeae, please, please fix the basic functionality issues. It's very frustrating to all of us, and I can imagine first-time posters get really annoyed; especially on a site dedicated to web design.

--P

Columbia, CA. USA The Gilded Moon-Sierra Nevada Photography
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Well, I made an offer a few weeks ago that still stands. If Paul will just send the Forum developers to meet us at the Dumpster out back at midnight, we'll deal with the forum problem. Once and for all. Just don't ask any questions; it's better that way.

I just went to start a post and noticed the sure sign of an impending failure: the dreaded "Sign-in to Vote". Never fails--a sure sign that the forum doesn't know me from Adam even though my name is displayed right up at the top next to the "Sign out" link. If I make a post while it's like that I get nowhere.

So I signed out, went to log in and even Windows Live login had forgotten me! Even though Remember Me was checked! Ugh. It really is worse since the last update. I have had so sign it up to 5 times just to make one post.

EDIT: After making this post, I went down to the thread that I was originally going to post in and there's the dreaded "Sign in to Vote" sign again! I just signed in! Not 5 minutes ago!

Then I came up here, clicked on this post to edit, and couldn't see any post but Jim's first one (yet 2 replies were listed). I had to open the post properly in order to see the two new posts. Sheesh!

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Does anyone else have a disappearing cursor when they post replies? I can see it normally when I write a question, but it goes missing if I try to reply! I just have to click where I want and trust that I got it in the right place. This is really aggravating if I go back to edit my reply before posting. What in the world is that all about?

Jim

Yes, that happens to me on this forum half the time. Clicking on a spot external to the browser and then back again will cure it, for that moment.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:34 AM
  • On 23/06/2010 00:46, fcphdJim wrote:

As much as I enjoy reading the appreciative comments in other threads, I have to wonder how many people (especially those responsible for this mess) are missing out. How about if we consolidate things here so that everyone can take part? I'll start...

Does anyone else have a disappearing cursor when they post replies? I can see it normally when I write a question, but it goes missing if I try to reply! I just have to click where I want and trust that I got it in the right place. This is/really/ aggravating if I go back to edit my reply before posting. What in the world is that all about?

Jim

This isn't the only Microsoft Forum where the cursor is not visible.  I have experienced the same behaviour (or lack of it!) in the the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Malcolm Walker
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:51 AM
  • This message was cancelled from within Mozilla Thunderbird.

Malcolm Walker
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:55 AM
  • This message was cancelled from within Mozilla Thunderbird.

Malcolm Walker

Oh, really? You sure about that?  ;-)

FWIW, I also get the vanishing text cursor, but oddly enough it's usually on the first reply to a thread. And if I hit Cancel and then Reply, the second time around I get the cursor. Go figure... Just another of the oddities of this forum.

It's bad enough that we are saddled with one of the lamest editors I've ever encountered in a Web forum (no font choice, no color choice, not much of anything, and weird behavior to boot... ), that would be almost acceptable if everything else ran like clockwork. Unfortunately, the unpredictable, frustrating, infuriating, random failure modes this software is prone to just magnifies the shortcomings of its individual elements. And no one seems to listen. It seems that the complaints, bitchin', and moaning accomplish nothing (yes, I have posted complaints over in the feedback forum, before I figured out that it was a black hole that absorbed everything without a trace). And so it goes...

cheers,
    scott

P.S. I do NOT want a bloody damned paragraph every time I hit Enter! Got it?

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:07 AM
  • "P.S. I do NOT want a bloody damned paragraph every time I hit Enter! Got it?"

Amen, brotha'!

--P

Columbia, CA. USA The Gilded Moon-Sierra Nevada Photography
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Well, now that this thread was so kindly moved without any notification, suddenly the title makes no sense. Here, it isn't OT; that was kind of the point of stating that in the forum in which I posted it. Apparently those of us in the EW forum have to either come here to complain, or continue tacking our rants onto unrelated threads. The giant sucking sound appears to be coming from nearby...

Jim

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:39 PM
  • 1. You can edit the title of your own post and remove the OT:

2. You are complaining about the forum software so this (or the Forum Issues forum) *is* on topic for your thread.

I don't be any means always agree with where MS Moderators move posts to, but this decision seems OK to me.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Jim said: Does anyone else have a disappearing cursor when they post replies? I can see it normally when I write a question, but it goes missing if I try to reply! I just have to click where I want and trust that I got it in the right place. This is really aggravating if I go back to edit my reply before posting. What in the world is that all about?

Time Bandit said: Yes, that happens to me on this forum half the time. Clicking on a spot external to the browser and then back again will cure it, for that moment.
    The missing text cursor problem also happens to me half the time.  Running WinXP Pro on a P4 and Firefox in the VC++ forums.  Tried Time Bandit's fix and it works.  Thanks for that!  But having the problem is surprising considering this is a "Microsoft programming" forum.

Skyzoomer
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:50 PM