WHS Console not opening RRS feed

• Question

• I recently uninstalled an addin because I wasnt using it and now my console wont work either thru my PC or while rdp into the server.

On the pc it states that My computer has lost connection to the home server.

But it hasnt. All network functionality is there.  RDP, Shared Folders,  etc.

When I am in the RDP and try to open the console,  it thinks,  pops open the screen for a second and then appears to shut down.  Watching task manager shows that it does in fact exit.

Is there a way to reset my console to its original state?  Im not sure what else to do in this situation.

Thanks for any help.

SQiRL

Monday, September 15, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

• Found the Problem.

There was another addin called Tab Manager that seems to have corrupted. When I uninstalled the other addin,  i guess it didnt know how to act.

I basically uninstalled/reinstalled the addins in hopes to get them to re-initialize but to no avail.

Checked the registry for any obsurities and totally uninstalled all files from the addin page and if they didnt work there,  from the add/remove programs.

I went to the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder and started removing the .dll files related to the Tab Manager  addin.

I was able to recognize them as they all had the Tab Manager key before the file and looked similar to ...HomeServerConsoleTab.TabManager.Health.dll

Once I did this,  my RDP console came up like new and i am now also able to connect to it again via the PC console.

Theres one though that didnt clear from my addins list and that is the Event Viewer addin.  Its not installed from what I can tell and just appears to have hung clearing out of the addins list area.

Any ideas on how to get that out of there if theres no install files anywhere obvious?

--------update---------
     nevermind about the event viewer issue...

found the problem here...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\RegisteredAdditions

and removed the reg key that belonged to it.

I hope my stumbling helps somebody else out in the future.

Thanks
    SQiRL
    • Edited by SQiRL Monday, September 15, 2008 7:34 PM update
    • Marked as answer by SQiRL Monday, September 15, 2008 7:35 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Tab Manager does have some problems with Power Pack 1 and due to my new job will not be able to be updated in future. Please see this blog post for instructions on removing Tab Manager.
    Now an enthusiast on the inside
    Monday, September 15, 2008 9:25 PM

All replies

• Your best bet is probably to do a server reinstall. There could be other ways to fix this, however these will probably be more laborious and the outcome is unpredictable.

Server reinstall should normally preserve all data in WHS shares and client backups, however you will have to reconfigure the machine (add user and clients, configure remote access,  install add-in's and so on ).
    • Edited by brubberModerator Monday, September 15, 2008 2:38 PM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, September 15, 2008 4:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SQiRL Monday, September 15, 2008 5:05 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:37 PM
  • that seems like an anti answer to be honest.

Far too many techs these days rely on the .... reinstall answer.

Id rather find out what happened to this one aspect of my home server than nuke the whole installation.  Seems overkill for one minor part of the server when the rest of it works just fine.

Thanks, but no thanks for now.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  What was the Add-In that you removed?
    Also, what do the server logs say?

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Advanced Admin Console.

Got it from the we got served site.

I managed to get the Console working again from the RDP side of things by running the installer again from c: drive.  It has not however restored teh ability to connect to the console from a PC.

Now i just gotta find out why the addin is causing issues when i try to uninstall it.

As for logs... Not sure where to look for the logs on the console exiting after i open it. 
    • Edited by SQiRL Monday, September 15, 2008 6:04 PM additional info
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:02 PM
  • SQiRL said:

that seems like an anti answer to be honest.

Far too many techs these days rely on the .... reinstall answer.

Id rather find out what happened to this one aspect of my home server than nuke the whole installation.  Seems overkill for one minor part of the server when the rest of it works just fine.

Thanks, but no thanks for now.

Yeah well, I am also not a great fan of server reinstall, however practice has learned that for the majority of users this is the quickest and most secure way to recovery.

Now some basic guidelines: 

Please note that some of these steps could mess up your homeserver and result in in loss of data.

1. Please check file version for all Window Home server components, these should all be 6.0.1800.0. If not please update your system before proceeding.
    2. RDP to your homeserver
    3. Try reinstalling the Add-inn by running the appropriate msi from \\yourserver\software\Add-ins.
    4. If this doesn't fix it:
    5. Try openening console
    6. If it fails open explorer window and browse to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.
    7. Check all logs created between the time you tried top open the console and a few minutes after it failed.
    8. From this you should be able to deduce which component is failing.
    9. If not please check the eventlogs on your server, these could also tell you which component is failing.
    10. If you have identified the failing component uninstall and reinstall.  You will probably not be able to do this from Add or  Remove Programs. In the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Home Server\SP3) you can either enable this again or find the uninstall command which you can then run from the command line.
    11. If you can't identify the culprit simply uninstall / reinstall windows home server components.

Good luck and please let us know when you managed to fix it.

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Found the Problem.

There was another addin called Tab Manager that seems to have corrupted. When I uninstalled the other addin,  i guess it didnt know how to act.

I basically uninstalled/reinstalled the addins in hopes to get them to re-initialize but to no avail.

Checked the registry for any obsurities and totally uninstalled all files from the addin page and if they didnt work there,  from the add/remove programs.

I went to the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder and started removing the .dll files related to the Tab Manager  addin.

I was able to recognize them as they all had the Tab Manager key before the file and looked similar to ...HomeServerConsoleTab.TabManager.Health.dll

Once I did this,  my RDP console came up like new and i am now also able to connect to it again via the PC console.

Theres one though that didnt clear from my addins list and that is the Event Viewer addin.  Its not installed from what I can tell and just appears to have hung clearing out of the addins list area.

Any ideas on how to get that out of there if theres no install files anywhere obvious?

--------update---------
     nevermind about the event viewer issue...

found the problem here...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\RegisteredAdditions

and removed the reg key that belonged to it.

I hope my stumbling helps somebody else out in the future.

Thanks
    SQiRL
    • Edited by SQiRL Monday, September 15, 2008 7:34 PM update
    • Marked as answer by SQiRL Monday, September 15, 2008 7:35 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 7:28 PM
  • So how did you find out this one was actually bugging you?
    Monday, September 15, 2008 7:36 PM
  •  I happened to notice while the tab manager was uninstalled from the addins list,  the functionality was still there.

Process of elimination led me to confirm this was the problem.  Tab Manager apparently builds a seperate .dll for the other addin that i installed,  but those .dll files never got removed which apparently caused tab manager and or the main console to freak out.

As to how it was causing the console to actually shut down... I honestly have no idea.

As to my PC not being able to connect, I can only assume that because while in RDP the app was actually shutting down,  the PC Console experienced something similar which caused the ... lost connection message.

• Edited by SQiRL Monday, September 15, 2008 7:50 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 7:45 PM
  • SQiRL said:

I happened to notice while the tab manager was uninstalled from the addins list,  the functionality was still there.

OK Thanks.  Thought you weren't able to open / view the console at all.

Can you also please notify the programmer of the tab manager? You can find his contact info overhere

EDIT:SQiRL, I've already contacted Brendan, please have look at his reply below which explains why you ran into this problem
    Monday, September 15, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Sorry, thought i stated above...

I reinstalled the first addin from the c drive which allowed me to access the console from the RDP but not the PC connector.

From there it was just a matter of finding out why that addin caused a problem when i removed it. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Tab Manager does have some problems with Power Pack 1 and due to my new job will not be able to be updated in future. Please see this blog post for instructions on removing Tab Manager.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Brendan Grant said:

Tab Manager does have some problems with Power Pack 1 and due to my new job will not be able to be updated in future. Please see this blog post for instructions on removing Tab Manager.

Brendan, if possible can you provide a graceful way out for others that run into this problem?
    Monday, September 15, 2008 10:50 PM
  • DOH...

I guess i should keep more informed about the addins I use.

Thanks for contacting him. 

Too bad about Tab Manager.   I liked it.

I guess my next goal is to actually learn more about how addins work and the relationship to the core before doing anymore.

Thanks again for the replies. 
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:03 AM