the c disk is at or near capacity RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running this WHS box for years. All of a sudden it keeps crashing and the error is 'the c disk is at or near capacity'. Now in other windows OS's this is a simple fix, delete stuff. But I always thought whs has 20GB it sets aside for itself and it manages that space. I have nothing on the C drive.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:39 AM

Answers

There are several files In the folder c:/program files/windows home server/<my group name>/<my pc's name>/<my server name> bkup/serverbackups/BDBB/2009_09_09/   which are 1 GB and larger, 2 of them are over 4 GB each data.4096.data.0.dat and data.4096.data.1.dat

(emphasis added)

Presumably these files are created by the Backup DataBase Backup add-in. You might want to contact the author of that add-in for information.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by rykman Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:31 PM

All replies

• I have been running this WHS box for years. All of a sudden it keeps crashing and the error is 'the c disk is at or near capacity'. Now in other windows OS's this is a simple fix, delete stuff. But I always thought whs has 20GB it sets aside for itself and it manages that space. I have nothing on the C drive.
    Did you logon to the server desktop and see what is taking all of the space (a runaway log file, perhaps)?
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Thanks for help. Just checked the log files and found nothing unusual. Very manageable file sizes. Any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:28 PM
  • OK. I searched the C disk and found very large files in the folder :

c:/program files/Windows Home Server/<workgroup name>/<PC name>/data.4096.data.0.dat and data.4096.data.1.dat

each of these files are larger than 4gb each. What are these files?

• Edited by rykman Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Files crucial to WHS.
    PS: When drives are getting full  on WHS, adding an extra drive is the best option.
    Don't do clean ups like the one you describe. The only place(s) that are ok for clean up are the data folders liek video/recorded tv.
    Also stay away from the Software folder.

OK. I searched the C disk and found very large files in the folder :

Windows Home Server/<network name>/<PC name>/data.4096.data.0.dat and data.4096.data.1.dat

each of these files are larger than 4gb each. What are these files?

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:37 PM
  • As Leen mentions, those are critical files (parts of the backup database). They're also not on your C: drive, though they appear in C:\FS\etc.

There are several locations for log files on your server though. There are the IIS logs, which I presume you found already, and there are also a variety of other logs somewhere under C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\etc. (Sorry, don't have a server handy for the full path...)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:11 PM
  • This does not answer what these files are. These are the files causing my C drive to be full. At one point I tried out the backup the whs backups utility (add-in) but it kept failing and I gave up and removed the add-in.  Looking at these file names in this folder I am thinking they are these files.   There is over 10.5 GB of files in this folder the biggest ones being the ones I mentioned. 

My server keeps crashing because C is out of space. I can't add to the C drive, that is allocated and managed by whs but something  put these large files on the C drive and now I have less than 500MB.

Can anyone shed light on these files?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:30 PM
  • I guess you didnt'read Ken's reply at all.

> I can't add to the C drive, that is allocated and managed by whs but something  put these large files on the C drive and now I have less than 500MB.

On WHS (as Ken already said) there no real C-drive . WHS is completly different. But I guess you don't believe what others tell you, but you can add a HD to the WHS.  There is a system partition (20 GB) the rest of a disc is for fi data/backup. The sys drive cannog be enlarged (it is like it is 20 GB and that is ALL this needed ).

Tip of the day:  you better connect to your WHS via the the WHS console via your client machine.. otherwise I see a lot of problems coming.

This does not answer what these files are. These are the files causing my C drive to be full. At one point I tried out the backup the whs backups utility (add-in) but it kept failing and I gave up and removed the add-in.  Looking at these file names in this folder I am thinking they are these files.   There is over 10.5 GB of files in this folder the biggest ones being the ones I mentioned. 

My server keeps crashing because C is out of space. I can't add to the C drive, that is allocated and managed by whs but something  put these large files on the C drive and now I have less than 500MB.

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore

One of things explained there is:
    "The backup database is a collection of files that can be broken into three categories: 
    • Global files - Files that track the history of all home computer backups and all of the other files in the backup database.

• Cluster files - Files that store the actual cluster data from the home computers. These are usually in 4096 byte increments. These files grow to 4 GB in size before a new file is created. These files are stored as Data.XXXX.Z.dat, where XXXX=cluster size in bytes, and Z=0,1,2,�?�

Btw, these Data.XXX.Z.dat are stored on the data partition and NOT on the system partition.

Happy reading..

That's all folks :-)

I guess you didnt'read Ken's reply at all.

> I can't add to the C drive, that is allocated and managed by whs but something  put these large files on the C drive and now I have less than 500MB.

On WHS (as Ken already said) there no real C-drive . WHS is completly different. But I guess you don't believe what others tell you, but you can add a HD to the WHS.  There is a system partition (20 GB) the rest of a disc is for fi data/backup. The sys drive cannog be enlarged (it is like it is 20 GB and that is ALL this needed ).

Tip of the day:  you better connect to your WHS via the the WHS console via your client machine.. otherwise I see a lot of problems coming.

This does not answer what these files are. These are the files causing my C drive to be full. At one point I tried out the backup the whs backups utility (add-in) but it kept failing and I gave up and removed the add-in.  Looking at these file names in this folder I am thinking they are these files.   There is over 10.5 GB of files in this folder the biggest ones being the ones I mentioned. 

Have a nice day!

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Sorry I get file not found on that document
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:07 PM
  • I did read Kens reply but I am not talking about the /fs files.  I know a bit about whs as I have been running this since the original beta years ago.

I AM having a problem with the systems C drive. it doesn't matter how whs uses the C drive it still exists under server 2003.

There are several files In the folder c:/program files/windows home server/<my group name>/<my pc's name>/<my server name> bkup/serverbackups/BDBB/2009_09_09/   which are 1 GB and larger, 2 of them are over 4 GB each data.4096.data.0.dat and data.4096.data.1.dat

This is not where the server puts it's backups. These are the reason my C drive is full. Until I solve what these files are I will never be able to clear this problem.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:15 PM
  • I've found the problem files, see my response below
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:16 PM

(emphasis added)

Presumably these files are created by the Backup DataBase Backup add-in. You might want to contact the author of that add-in for information.

• Marked as answer by rykman Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:31 PM
  • I also am having problems with the C: drive (yes there is one - the system drive which is 20 gig).  I am not backing up any databases, but I have had runaway log files (which seem to be happening all of the time now - I delete these at least twice a day).  Is there anyway to stop these logs from getting so huge (I currently have a 2 gig qsm log file in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs directory) or is there a way to make the C: drive bigger?

Now, I do have about 20TB in the storage pool with Folder Duplication enabled - is this part of the problem?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Thanks Ken, I did try that addin but had difficulties with it. I assumed it cleaned itself up but you know what they say about assuming. I was hoping someone could identify those files, I'll contact the author as you suggest. Again thanks for the help.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:22 AM
  • > there anyway to stop these logs from getting so huge (I currently have a 2 gig qsm log file

Old thread from Tom Ziegman:

one of the things there:

Try doing the following steps.

1. Logon to the Administrator Desktop

2. Click on Start -> Run

3.Type "cmd" (without quotes)

4. Type "net stop qsm /yes" (without quotes) ---- This stops all the Home Server services and allows you to delete log files.

5. Click on Start -> Run

6. Type "%qlogs%" (without quotes)

7. Delete log files that are taking up large amounts of space

8. Restart server and you should be good to go.

I also am having problems with the C: drive (yes there is one - the system drive which is 20 gig).  I am not backing up any databases, but I have had runaway log files (which seem to be happening all of the time now - I delete these at least twice a day).  Is there anyway to stop these logs from getting so huge (I currently have a 2 gig qsm log file in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs directory) or is there a way to make the C: drive bigger?

Now, I do have about 20TB in the storage pool with Folder Duplication enabled - is this part of the problem?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:55 PM