OneCare Backup tells me disc contains data, but it doesn't. Instructs insert blank disc. RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to make a data backup, OneCare tells me the disc I'm using contains data.  It does not.  I'm using new imation DVD-RW discs in the internal Matshita DVD-RAM UJ870BJ drive of my Sony Vaio VGN-FW250J computer.  What am I doing wrong?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• If the DVD was formatted by a third party application it cannot be used by One Care. Try a new unformatted disk. If the issue persists please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    • Marked as answer by Rodgo Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:18 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Thank you, Jim.  I erased and reformatted.  It is working fine.  Never thought a disc would come preformatted new.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Glad to read that it is fine now.
    We typically recommend that you go with the cheaper discs, but stick with name brands, and use DVD+/-R and *not* RW discs. RW discs are more expensive, less reliable, more prone to compatibility issues, and OneCare balks at them more often, especially if they are re-used.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:11 PM