Vista Business looses activation after SP1 to SP2 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my laptop using Windows Update from OEM Vista Business SP1 to OEM Vista Business SP2 this evening. After the install of SP2 and the reboot Windows prompted that the Windows product key was invalid, and to reenter the product key. I entered the product key from the Windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop which failed to activate with code 0xC004F050 - product key is invalid.

What should I do now? This is a genuine licensed copy of Vista, yet is now failing activation.

Thanks, Allan

Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with OEM Vista Business SP1 (successfully activated for over 2 years)

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VRCTY-3V3RH-WRMG7
    Windows Product Key Hash: l2HYuM058SkcIU57PqWaCOL7rEU=
    Windows Product ID: 89576-OEM-7332141-00054
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010100.2.0.006
    ID: {95604386-47CF-44B4-B11B-BA038B226FFE}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6002.vistasp2_gdr.100218-0019
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Disabled
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Disabled

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{95604386-47CF-44B4-B11B-BA038B226FFE}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010100.2.0.006</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WRMG7</PKey><PID>89576-OEM-7332141-00054</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1289438901-3085986202-1344567035</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Vostro 1500                     </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080421000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F0333507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-00CA-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>B6EDCCF68D93DAE</Val><Hash>CkJWJ2LNujWGWSWQSE3Gv9b7XaY=</Hash><Pid>81606-OEM-6472772-80587</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1000, 9) (null): 0xC004E017

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: PAAAAAEABgABAAIAAQABAAAAAwABAAEAJJSsRu4cIoJQoxrtCI+iUEaDJqwW35C18vQQntoPzF6sViqF

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            DELL          M08   
      FACP            DELL          M08   
      HPET            DELL          M08   
      BOOT            DELL          M08   
      MCFG            DELL          M08   
      SLIC            DELL          M08   
      SSDT            PmRef        CpuPm

Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:46 AM

Answers

• Noel, I have no idea if the activation issue was caused by having Kaspersky installed or not. I was hoping removing it (after the fact) would help but it did not. Certainly uninstalling Kaspersky caused it to restore pre-SP2 version files from the original install.

The Activation wizard still does not accept the COA key. Last night I received an email reply from the Microsoft team working my email incident, asking for the WGA diagnostics and the COA key. I am awaiting a reply from them.

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:44 PM
  • After a long day of incremental Windows Updates, reboots, disk image backups, and more reboots, I have a completely up-to-date Vista laptop that is activated with the OEM SLP key! And there are no outstanding updates. The difference is I was manually batching updates, so probably installed some in a different order or at different times from Windows automatic updates. So it seems to be an install order type of issue. Unfortunately that means this answer will not help most other people.

One item that might help. On the my second reinstall, and after the plain Vista install was installed, when I was prompted what to do with Automatic Updates I completely disabled them. That let me get from Vista to Vista SP1 to Vista SP2 with no other updates. Also I used the standalone service pack installers, not the ones available from Windows Update. Only once I got to SP2 did I then manually start installing updates in the order: a) important security patches only with no drivers, IE8, or new features; b) IE8; c) most other important updates (except no display/network drivers or multiple extended authentication updates); d) display/network drivers; e) extended authentication updates; f) refreshed update and installed what was left (took several tries).

KB971033 does not appear on my completely patched system - I think it is Windows 7 only.

Now I can continue reinstalling all the applications, and restoring the data from backups.

Thanks for your help - sorry we did not get an answer to this problem, except clearly a reinstall was the only solution. If Microsoft give me any info tomorrow I'll come back and update this. [Clearly my post above about Microsoft invalidating the OEM SLP key was incorrect.]

• Marked as answer by allan_k Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:54 AM
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:54 AM

All replies

• "allan_k" wrote in message news:5d5c83fa-5d7e-4a2b-8e68-199215bef065...

I upgraded my laptop using Windows Update from OEM Vista Business SP1 to OEM Vista Business SP2 this evening. After the install of SP2 and the reboot Windows prompted that the Windows product key was invalid, and to reenter the product key. I entered the product key from the Windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop which failed to activate with code 0xC004F050 - product key is invalid.

What should I do now? This is a genuine licensed copy of Vista, yet is now failing activation.

Thanks, Allan

Your problem seems to be that for some reason the OS has stopped auto-activating - either it's lost communication with the BIOS certificate, or the certificate has become corrupt. This can happen for  a number of reasons, such as updating the BIOS, or having a motherboard change.
     You say that you're entered the product Key from the sticker? - there's no evidence of that, from the Key above (it's the one that came with the machine).
     Check the characters you entered are the right ones - it's very easy to mix some up (0/O/Q 8/B 2/Z etc). Once the machine accepts them you'll have to do a telephone activation to get it to stick.

HTH

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Noel, Thank you for your response. Neither the BIOS nor motherboard were changed. The laptop was successfully running Vista Business OEM SP1, and all I did was run Windows Update to upgrade to SP2. Immediately after the upgrade reboot I had this activation/licensing issue. My wife and I both rechecked the product key from the sticker - and I did not enter it incorrectly. I think the problem is this is OEM Vista which should auto-activate and now does not, and the product key on the bottom sticker is not the OEM key.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:06 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:0a16fcd1-8ffa-48be-8409-e55a9e2472e5...
    Noel, Thank you for your response. Neither the BIOS nor motherboard were changed. The laptop was successfully running Vista Business OEM SP1, and all I did was run Windows Update to upgrade to SP2. Immediately after the upgrade reboot I had this activation/licensing issue. My wife and I both rechecked the product key from the sticker - and I did not enter it incorrectly. I think the problem is this is OEM Vista which should auto-activate and now does not, and the product key on the bottom sticker is not the OEM key.

The Sticker is ALWAYS the OEM key - but there are two types (OEM SLP, and COA SLP) for preinstalled systems from large manufacturers. The one that is installed when you get it is the OEM SLP Key (which is the OEM's), and the one on the Sticker is the COA SLP Key (which is your very own). The one currently in use is the OEM SLP Key.

The Sticker does say that it's for Windows Vista Business, doesn't it? (not Windows Vista Home Premium)

Ah - found the problem (getting short-sighted in my old age!)

Licensing Data-->
    C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1000, 9) (null): 0xC004E017

<quote Darin - Forum Owner>

It looks as if Vista's Licensing Store may be corrupt or the data it
    conntains is messed up in some way. Try the below steps to recreate the
    Licensing Store and it data.

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd
    %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to
    complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate. (use the
    Product key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of the computer and
    Activate using the By Phone method)

</quote>

--

Sunday, June 13, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Thanks again Noel. The sticker does say OEM Windows Vista Business, so matches the installed OS and the OEM recovery disk.This was a laptop I originally purchased for a personal business that is now just used for personal use.

I followed your instructions above exactly but:

* After first reboot received the message: "Unauthorized change was made to Windows. Windows must be reinstalled to activate"

* After second reboot, when I tried to activate I received the message: "Windows must be reinstalled to activate"

So I restored the original tokens.dat and rebooted, which resolved the "reinstall" message, but still leaves me without an activated version of windows.

At this point I am seriously considering doing a complete reinstall from the OEM install DVD. I have all the files backed up, and I think I have valid license keys for all installed software including the OEM install of Microsoft Office 2007.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:27 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:68efea9d-a7dd-4e25-8f1e-05a6274a6e9c...

At this point I am seriously considering doing a complete reinstall from the OEM install DVD. I have all the files backed up, and I think I have valid license keys for all installed software including the OEM install of Microsoft Office 2007.

You can use Belarc Advisor to get your Keys  archived - www.belarc.com

Since this is an Activation/WGA issue you should be entitled to free support from the WGA team - try them first.
    Good Luck!

--

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Again thanks - I will use Belarc. As well as this forum I've also called Windows Activation group today, who passed me on to the Windows Technical support group. They were unable to help me. We tried several steps, and just a few minutes ago they were about to recommend the tokens.dat procedure you listed when I told them that had already not worked. Their final suggestion is a reinstall from the OEM reinstallation DVD.

Do you think the WGA team would be able to solve this problem? If yes it might be worth waiting until Monday to avoid the reinstall headaches.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:47 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:aa9e702e-b842-41f7-b524-458eb856d53a...

Again thanks - I will use Belarc. As well as this forum I've also called Windows Activation group today, who passed me on to the Windows Technical support group. They were unable to help me. We tried several steps, and just a few minutes ago they were about to recommend the tokens.dat procedure you listed when I told them that had already not worked. Their final suggestion is a reinstall from the OEM reinstallation DVD.

Do you think the WGA team would be able to solve this problem? If yes it might be worth waiting until Monday to avoid the reinstall headaches.

I don't know what their working hours are,  or their terms of reference - but I'd love to have details of their fix for it (assuming they have one<g>) for the next person with the same problem.

Hmmm - this is an SP2 install-related problem, isn't it?..... <VBEG>
    Want some fun? try the Windows Update team - it's their thing that started it all off anyhow (SP installs are 'owned' by WU) http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 - click on the Get Help Now link, and follow your nose - see if you can get a one-one session going, and what they can do for you.

--

Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:24 PM
  • OK, will try one more time on Monday - cannot seem to get that link to work right now. I already had an email ticket opened with Microsoft, which got me to the Activation team and then onto the Support Team. I think they are just as stumped. They also had me try to restore the system to SP1 using System Restore, but System Restore was unable to roll back to the pre-SP2 restore point (it failed once, and blue-screened once). This laptop is lightly used and has Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 installed, so I am 99.99% sure there is no infection. KIS 2009 was disabled during the SP1 to SP2 upgrade, and I did not re-enabled after the SP2 install because of the activation issue.

Another option is to call the Activation line again and explain to them again that I need to activate using the Dell OEM COA SLP key. I am not sure I used the right terms when I first called. The third post here (by you) helped me understand this could be an option: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/0aa6f054-f279-4b87-a900-6a95b1a8e849/#b197520c-7306-4886-bb98-11e6d0293bc2

• Edited by allan_k Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:53 PM Added 2nd paragraph
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:39 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:cc4d0e3a-17b9-4977-a029-f25d5ef57d19...

OK, will try one more time on Monday - cannot seem to get that link to work right now. I already had an email ticket opened with Microsoft, which got me to the Activation team and then onto the Support Team. I think they are just as stumped. They also had me try to restore the system to SP1 using System Restore, but System Restore was unable to roll back to the pre-SP2 restore point (it failed once, and blue-screened once). This laptop is lightly used and has Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 installed, so I am 99.99% sure there is no infection. KIS 2009 was disabled during the SP1 to SP2 upgrade, and I did not re-enabled after the SP2 install because of the activation issue.

Another option is to call the Activation line again and explain to them again that I need to activate using the Dell OEM COA SLP key. I am not sure I used the right terms when I first called. The third post here (by you) helped me understand this could be an option: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/0aa6f054-f279-4b87-a900-6a95b1a8e849/#b197520c-7306-4886-bb98-11e6d0293bc2

<French accent>
    Ah I remember it well!
    </French accent>
     - with my CRS syndrome, that's a wonder! :)

Hold on there - I thought your problem was the the machine wouldn't accept the new key?

Let's have another look at the MGADiag report before I go to bed - can you run it again, and post the result back?

--

Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Noel, You are correct - the Activation Wizard will not accept the Dell OEM COA SLP key on the sticker on the underside of the machine. I get 0xC004F050 - the key is invalid. Maybe I mis-understood your other post. I thought you were suggesting that to use that sticker key all you had to do was call up Microsoft Activation. Maybe what you meant is the wizard should accept the key first and then tell me to call Microsoft. Is that what you meant?

Also about 5 minutes after I posted my other post above, the link you suggested I tried worked. It was the same link I previously used to log an email incident with Microsoft. So I replied back to them with additional information. I'll see what happens, if anything.

Anyway here is the debug output again. Really appreciate all your time on this. It is frustrating to have a legally licensed Vista install complain it is not activated.

TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\ntdsapi.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\ws2_32.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\nsi.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\oleacc.dll[4.2.5406.0], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\wtsapi32.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\winnsi.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\winsta.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\nlaapi.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\rasman.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\activeds.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\mlang.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\ntshrui.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\duser.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\hlink.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\efsadu.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\oledlg.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\clbcatq.dll[2001.12.6931.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\cabinet.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\ktmw32.dll[6.0.6001.18000], Hr = 0x800b0100

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{95604386-47CF-44B4-B11B-BA038B226FFE}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010100.2.0.006</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WRMG7</PKey><PID>89576-OEM-7332141-00054</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1289438901-3085986202-1344567035</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Vostro 1500                     </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080421000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F0333507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-00CA-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>B6EDCCF68D93DAE</Val><Hash>CkJWJ2LNujWGWSWQSE3Gv9b7XaY=</Hash><Pid>81606-OEM-6472772-80587</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: PAAAAAEABgABAAIAAQABAAAAAwABAAEAJJSsRu4cIoJQoxrtCI+iUEaDJqwW35C18vQQntoPzF6sViqF

N/A

BIOS Information:

Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:29 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:48a43078-4f82-4ed6-ae8a-a9ce2bc55371...

Noel, You are correct - the Activation Wizard will not accept the Dell OEM COA SLP key on the sticker on the underside of the machine. I get 0xC004F050 - the key is invalid. Maybe I mis-understood your other post. I thought you were suggesting that to use that sticker key all you had to do was call up Microsoft Activation. Maybe what you meant is the wizard should accept the key first and then tell me to call Microsoft. Is that what you meant?

Yep!

I really and honestly have NO real idea what's going wrong here - you now have a HUGE number of mismatches (more, I think, than I've ever seen in these forums - but then I've not been here long) - although at least the Licensing store seems to be OK now.
    All these  mismatches are from SP1 of Vista - so it looks like SP2 really didn't 'take' after all! - at least as far as WGA is concerned.

Try an SFC....
    Run the System File Checker:-
    click on Start
    type CMD.EXE in the Search box, and wait for the file to be found - right-click on it, and select Run as Administrator.
    At the prompt, type
    SFC   /SCANNOW
    and hit the Enter key
    The scanner will start, and hopefully repair the file problems.
    Reboot, and then run MGADiag again, and post the report back here.

...and with that, said Zebedee, it's time for bed!
    I Look forward to treading the next installment in the saga  in the morning :) 
    --

Sunday, June 13, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Sorry Noel, my bad. I uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security hoping that would fix the issue, I suspect it restored the SP1 files from its original install. Running SFC fixed the file mismatches.

TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

BIOS Information:

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:55 AM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:142b0cd9-40d6-43f2-b392-3d108ba9644c...

Sorry Noel, my bad. I uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security hoping that would fix the issue, I suspect it restored the SP1 files from its original install. Running SFC fixed the file mismatches.

TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{95604386-47CF-44B4-B11B-BA038B226FFE}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010100.2.0.006</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WRMG7</PKey><PID>89576-OEM-7332141-00054</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1289438901-3085986202-1344567035</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Vostro 1500                     </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080421000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F0333507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID>& lt;stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-00CA-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>B6EDCCF68D93DAE</Val><Hash>CkJWJ2LNujWGWSWQSE3Gv9b7XaY=</Hash><Pid>81606-OEM-6472772-80587</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

BIOS Information:

Ahah!! - so Kaspersky screws things up! Nice to know - thanks for the info.
    Yep -it's cleared all the mismatches nicely.

Have you tried entering your COA Key yet? - does it go in OK? does it Activate?
    Note:- you will have to do a phone activation anyway (once the machine accepts your Key), try using the automated phone process first, but if it fails, phone back, and do not respond to the request for an option number - simply hold. Eventually, an operator should respond, and be able to help.

--

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:14 AM
  • Noel, I have no idea if the activation issue was caused by having Kaspersky installed or not. I was hoping removing it (after the fact) would help but it did not. Certainly uninstalling Kaspersky caused it to restore pre-SP2 version files from the original install.

The Activation wizard still does not accept the COA key. Last night I received an email reply from the Microsoft team working my email incident, asking for the WGA diagnostics and the COA key. I am awaiting a reply from them.

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:44 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:c7e96ee0-21d3-40e4-817a-9b0776ebdb46...

Noel, I have no idea if the activation issue was caused by having Kaspersky installed or not. I was hoping removing it (after the fact) would help but it did not. Certainly uninstalling Kaspersky caused it to restore pre-SP2 version files from the original install.

Good Luck - let us know what their solution was/is/wasn't! :)

--

Monday, June 14, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Minor update. Microsoft support, via email, have told me that my Dell OEM SLP key for product ID 89576-OEM-7332141-00054 has been leaked and they thought that might be my problem. [See below - that was not true, seems to be order of installing the updates]. I notice another user in these forums had a similar issue: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinevista/thread/84213de0-819f-4cdb-8c93-405b59d909fc

They then had use the change product key feature to use the Microsoft COA key on the sticker. Of course (as I already knew) that did not work:
      Invalid product key
      The following failure occurred while trying to use the product key:
      Code: 0xC004F050
      Description: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid.

I will see what they send next. I sent them a picture of the COA sticker on the bottom of the PC. I did not mis-type the key!

• Edited by allan_k Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:41 PM correct info
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:48 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:5f2403f9-751c-4e29-a16c-0358ae8e0542...

Minor update. Microsoft support, via email, have told me that my Dell OEM SLP key has been leaked and therefore Microsoft invalidated the OEM SLP key for product ID 89576-OEM-7332141-00054. I notice another user in these forums had a similar issue: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinevista/thread/84213de0-819f-4cdb-8c93-405b59d909fc

They then had use the change product key feature to use the Microsoft COA key on the sticker. Of course (as I already knew) that did not work:
      Invalid product key
      The following failure occurred while trying to use the product key:
      Code: 0xC004F050
      Description: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid.

I will see what they send next. I sent them a picture of the COA sticker on the bottom of the PC. I did not mis-type the key!

Thanks for the update! - good luck with  the rest.
    Interesting that they took the HUGE step to block a leaked OEM Key - it means there's going to  be a large number of people with the same issue. There's websites out there that do nothing but leak OEM SLP Keys! I wonder how many more are going to be invalidated? Does this mean the end of the OEM SLP Key system is in sight?

--
     <edit> NOTE: - subsequent experience shows that the MS techies were talking out of their posteriors again - the OEMSLP key is still valid!</edit>

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:30 PM
  • So this is really weird, and Microsoft support have been unable to help me at all, and are equally puzzled. I have a call scheduled with them on Sunday after I know more.

Successfully reinstalled using Dell OEM Vista Business DVD and Vista auto-activated using the OEM key. Successfully installed standalone SP1 upgrade - still activated after reboot. Successfully installed standalone SP2 upgrade - still activated after reboot. Thinking I was home and dry, went through several cycles of Window Updates. After a few cycles I received the Windows Activation error again and the COA product key did not work either. Clearly there is some post-SP2 update that is causing me this problem. This is all without any other software installed - only Microsoft Vista and updates! And again system restore did not help.

Right now I've reinstalled (for the second time) and am back to an activated copy of SP2. I'm now using disk image backups and incremental Windows Updates to narrow the problem down. When I figure it out I'll let you know. I suspect I am not the only person with this issue.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 10:46 PM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:9bcd2aff-be6f-4a5d-b204-cd445642a554...

So this is really weird, and Microsoft support have been unable to help me at all, and are equally puzzled. I have a call scheduled with them on Sunday after I know more.

Successfully reinstalled using Dell OEM Vista Business DVD and Vista auto-activated using the OEM key. Successfully installed standalone SP1 upgrade - still activated after reboot. Successfully installed standalone SP2 upgrade - still activated after reboot. Thinking I was home and dry, went through several cycles of Window Updates. After a few cycles I received the Windows Activation error again and the COA product key did not work either. Clearly there is some post-SP2 update that is causing me this problem. This is all without any other software installed - only Microsoft Vista and updates! And again system restore did not help.

Right now I've reinstalled (for the second time) and am back to an activated copy of SP2. I'm now using disk image backups and incremental Windows Updates to narrow the problem down. When I figure it out I'll let you know. I suspect I am not the only person with this issue.

Avoid the KB971033 update  - see if it's that one causing problems.

--

Sunday, June 20, 2010 1:16 AM
  • After a long day of incremental Windows Updates, reboots, disk image backups, and more reboots, I have a completely up-to-date Vista laptop that is activated with the OEM SLP key! And there are no outstanding updates. The difference is I was manually batching updates, so probably installed some in a different order or at different times from Windows automatic updates. So it seems to be an install order type of issue. Unfortunately that means this answer will not help most other people.

One item that might help. On the my second reinstall, and after the plain Vista install was installed, when I was prompted what to do with Automatic Updates I completely disabled them. That let me get from Vista to Vista SP1 to Vista SP2 with no other updates. Also I used the standalone service pack installers, not the ones available from Windows Update. Only once I got to SP2 did I then manually start installing updates in the order: a) important security patches only with no drivers, IE8, or new features; b) IE8; c) most other important updates (except no display/network drivers or multiple extended authentication updates); d) display/network drivers; e) extended authentication updates; f) refreshed update and installed what was left (took several tries).

KB971033 does not appear on my completely patched system - I think it is Windows 7 only.

Now I can continue reinstalling all the applications, and restoring the data from backups.

Thanks for your help - sorry we did not get an answer to this problem, except clearly a reinstall was the only solution. If Microsoft give me any info tomorrow I'll come back and update this. [Clearly my post above about Microsoft invalidating the OEM SLP key was incorrect.]

• Marked as answer by allan_k Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:54 AM
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:54 AM
  • "allan_k" wrote in message news:3474ee12-0997-4943-b676-986843b18461...

After a long day of incremental Windows Updates, reboots, disk image backups, and more reboots, I have a completely up-to-date Vista laptop that is activated with the OEM SLP key! And there are no outstanding updates. The difference is I was manually batching updates, so probably installed some in a different order or at different times from Windows automatic updates. So it seems to be an install order type of issue. Unfortunately that means this answer will not help most other people.

Re KB971033 - you're right, it is W7 only (one of the penalties of working with 4 different operating systems <g>)

Well, at least you're sorted now! - which is the whole point of the exercise:)
    I do wish that MS techies wouldn't shoot from the hip with comments about blocking OEM SLP Keys - they don't appreciate the consequences of making statements like that, when they aren't demonstrably true.
    Can you do me a favour and edit your post about that,waaaay back when, and add a note that it's been discovered not to be the case?
     - just for posterity, and in the hope that people  Googling with similar problems don't take it as gospel?
    I'll do the same with my response.

Good Luck.... if you have any new problems with Activation, please start a new thread <g>

--

Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:18 AM