File labeled as .tmp RRS feed

• Question

• I have used Money2005 for many years, in 2014 had a problem and had to load MoneyPlus. About two months ago I got an error that said my "file had not been closed". I could not open my file, I could not open my backup file, I tried to repair the file and it keeps coming up with "Microsoft has stopped working".  I can open my file but it comes up with a strange name as "mbf25f.tmp" or something similar it changes.  I can do a backup and rename but can not open that backup to get my file back to a "my money.mny file.  I had been retaining the .mny on a flash drive so I could use it on various computers.  Now I have to use only my laptop to be sure I get the correct file and balances.  Any help will be appreciated.  I don't know if I need to start over, use another software or what the answer may be.  Thank you.
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 8:51 PM

All replies

• I hope something works for you, but it is unlikely. Still, maybe there is something.

Search your computer and flash drives for *.mbf and *.mny files.

If you don't find any, your search was not sufficient. Sample.mny is put on your computer during install, so expect that to turn up during a search. Of course we are hoping for more.  Agent Ransack is a good search program that runs on Windows. I could also give you a command to run in a command window if you prefer that.

How large is this "mbf25f.tmp" file?

For others reading this thread, let's hope it gets them to review their backup procedures. I know you have already thought about that for the future. I wish there was a less painful way for people to get motivated.

Saturday, December 5, 2015 11:56 PM
  • Well, I downloaded Agent Ransack. 

Yes, the Sample.mny is the only file to come up.  The *.mbf comes up with all the backups I have been doing trying to regain my original file and make sure I had some kind of possible recovery.  The backup file sizes vary from 6440 kb to 31180kb. 

Today I tried to start a new file  but the software just opened my file using another name for the .tmp file.  I still do not know what caused the initial problem of saying the file had not been closed. then not being able to use my backup

I am ready to try another software package, as if I have to start over might as well be with a package that is supported.

Sunday, December 6, 2015 11:03 PM
  • That is sad. I can imagine your loss. It is hard to get inspired to do effective backups.

Even with a new program, you will want to have a more robust backup system.

Quicken is a fully supported program. However I don't know that you would have been immune to such a loss with Quicken if you put all of your data onto a single flash drive. You might consider a system of encrypting your backups and storing a few versions of backup onto the cloud. If you keep a single backup, you are in danger of saving a backup of a corrupted file over a good backup.

Money 2005 and Money Plus have good encryption, but it is potentially subject to computerized trial and error cracking. A long password is the cure to that, and a password manager can be the way to make long passwords usable. Another alternative is to keep your personal data in a well-encrypted container.

Monday, December 7, 2015 2:44 PM
  • In your original post, you state that "Now I have to use only my laptop to be sure I get the correct file and balances. "  Does this mean that you can still successfully access your Money file with your laptop?  Maybe there is a good copy of your Money.mny file on that laptop?  Or is Money also showing an error on the laptop?

Bill Becker

Monday, December 7, 2015 4:55 PM