Windows will not accept Vista product key! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have an Acer Aspire 5570-2977 laptop that came pre-installed with Windows Vista. Last month, there were some problems with viruses and the like, so I decided to use the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" CD that came with the computer to wipe the HD and reinstall Vista. Everything went fine, but now I cannot activate Windows and it will not accept the Product Key on the bottom of my computer. I tried to change the product key and enter the one on the sticker on my computer but it still won't accept it. I have three days left to activate...What should I do???

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, April 19, 2010 3:12 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Monday, April 19, 2010 12:13 AM

Answers

• Please see: Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program.  The Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD is only to be used to upgrade from one version of Vista to another and not for reinstallation.

Carey Frisch
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Hello AlexanderMassa,

Typically, recovery/reinstallation discs provided by computer manufacturers will look for the special information in the computer BIOS placed there by that same manufacturer and if recognized, the installation will continue.  In these instances, the recovery/reinstallation program will not ask for a product key, because it will be using the manufacturer's standard deployment key for their specific version and edition of Windows.

Less common, but another method used by manufacturers is that their recovery/reinstallation media will simply ask you to input the 25-character Windows product key found on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to your Acer computer.  The CoA is located on the computer case for desktops, and on the bottom of laptops.  Note that some laptop manufacturers have started putting the CoA inside the battery compartment, where it is less likely to suffer wear or damage.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, April 19, 2010 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hello AlexanderMassa,

You should post here:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/threads?filter=alltypes

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Please see: Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program.  The Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD is only to be used to upgrade from one version of Vista to another and not for reinstallation.

Carey Frisch
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Carey,

There was an option on the DVD to reinstall Vista, which is what I did. I reinstalled the entire OS using that DVD. But okay, I will look at that program. If I buy it, will I get a new Vista product key that will allow me to activate it?

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Hello AlexanderMassa,

Typically, recovery/reinstallation discs provided by computer manufacturers will look for the special information in the computer BIOS placed there by that same manufacturer and if recognized, the installation will continue.  In these instances, the recovery/reinstallation program will not ask for a product key, because it will be using the manufacturer's standard deployment key for their specific version and edition of Windows.

Less common, but another method used by manufacturers is that their recovery/reinstallation media will simply ask you to input the 25-character Windows product key found on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to your Acer computer.  The CoA is located on the computer case for desktops, and on the bottom of laptops.  Note that some laptop manufacturers have started putting the CoA inside the battery compartment, where it is less likely to suffer wear or damage.

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:23 PM
  • There was an option on the DVD to reinstall Vista, which is what I did. I reinstalled the entire OS using that DVD.

Yes, that option is to help you in the event you need to reinstall the Upgrade you purchased thru Anytime Upgrade.

Only an Anytime Upgrade product Key will work with Anytime Upgrade software. If the product key you are trying to enter was not purchased thru Anytime Upgrade, it will not work with the software installed from an Anytime Upgrade disk.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:11 PM