Antivirus & Spyware scan RRS feed

• Question

• I just did a full antivirus & spyware scan and found some unwanted specimen on the computer which windows OneCare got rid of The question I would like to ask is can I set the OneCare to do a full scan on a daily basis? I do find the quick scan does not pick up anything

Thanks

Martin

Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:44 PM

Answers

• There is no reason to scan ore frequently than during the tune-up unless you suspect an infection. OneCare's on access protection will spring into action if you attempt to execute a file that is infected. The infections found during the full scan were probably dormant.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:29 AM

All replies

• There is no reason to scan ore frequently than during the tune-up unless you suspect an infection. OneCare's on access protection will spring into action if you attempt to execute a file that is infected. The infections found during the full scan were probably dormant.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:29 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

There is no reason to scan ore frequently than during the tune-up unless you suspect an infection. OneCare's on access protection will spring into action if you attempt to execute a file that is infected. The infections found during the full scan were probably dormant.

-steve

Hi Steve,

We were told you should do a full scan once a day and most programs we have used had the option to do this.

Saturday my wife with hotmail had an email with a virus and it sent the email to my hotmail and Onecare never picked it up but the weird thing is that when Jay did a full scan on her laptop last night nothing was found.

Thanks

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:48 AM
  • I still would not recommend a daily scan - it isn't needed. The quick scan that runs daily is more than adequate along with the real time protection afforded by OneCare.

Hotmail is server based. If your wife has OneCare on the PC, opening the email and trying to execute the infected attachment should have caught the infection. If she did not execute the attachment, but forwarded the message to you, it wasn't scanned - OneCare does not scan inbound or outbound email, Hotmail or other, and certainly not web based email.

If you opened the email in your browser or even downloaded it to Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express, unless you execute the infected attachment, it won't be detected.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Thanks Steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:33 PM