Backup takes too long now RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS for more than one and a half years now. It is backing up 2 PC's or 4 HDDs. Until recently the backup of the 2 PC's took about 2 hours or less. Now, sometimes, one PC takes half of the night + the whole next day without any reason known to me.  As far as I understand, configuration on this PC did not change nor did size.
    I am not sure whether the WHS configuration changed. I do not know how to detect this.  I think WHS downloaded an update recently.

The transfer of data does not seem to take that much time (1 Gb LAN) but the determination of changed clusters and the reorganizatoin of data on the server does. 

Can somebody help me trying to understand?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:32 AM

All replies

• Are you defragmenting the hard drives regularly? If yes, this could be causing the increased backup times.

It could also indicate a problem with your backup database or server hardware.

Can you please check the eventlogs on the server for any error messages during backup time. Logon to your server desktop using remote desktop (on a client do start, run, type mstsc.exe and hit enter, computername=yourservername, user=Administrator, password=whs console password), then on server do Start, run, type eventvwr.msc.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Brubber, Thank you for your response.

I have indeed defragmented my system recently. I did it only once but the slow backups have occurred now already a couple of days in a row.

In the system error log I came across following error which seems to occur when backup starts:VolSnap
    "The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\F were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.  Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied."

No errors available on the Homeserver error log.

Other info:
    The other PC (not defragmented) was backed up in 1u and 10 min (also pretty long compared to past experience - about 10min). HDD is not so big.
    The back up of the main PC took 6u and 30 min... (in the past 15 min or less).

Thanks for your help!
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Other errors now appearing:
    "The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{D022E97E-F61D-4F68-B8D0-8DDA18DE9C05}. The backup browser is stopping."

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Please try and run chkdsk /r (from a command prompt) on all partitions of the client
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Brubber,

Done. Let's see how back up goes tonight.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Unfortunately, the backup is still very slow.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 6:16 AM
  • OK,

I think best thing you can do now is file a bug report on the Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site, instructions at the bottom of this page

Can you open a (recent) backup for that specific client?

What happens if you run cleanup or repair (please note you may loose backup data if you run repair) from the WHS console, settings menu, backup tab? does this fix your issue?

If you don't mind loosing your current backups you could try and remove the client from the WHS console, (when given a choice to delete all backups please do). Then from the WHS console settings menu, Backup tab run Cleanup Now. Watch the process for some time to make sure it doesn't finish within minutes. If it finishes very quiclky this is an indication something is not right with the backup database.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Thanks. I'll do this as a next step.

But I have another observation: I didn't realize it first but the server itself seems to be running very slow:e.g. it takes 15 sec to open My Computer and 30 sec to open the console on the server (occasionally over 1 min).

There is this one process consuming between 90%-100% CPU constantly.
    There is not much info. It is named " [System Process] ", Process ID 0, No Product name, Working set size: 0k yet is consuming all of my CPU.
    I can not stop this process.

May this cause slow backups?

Again thank you very much for your help.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:22 PM
  • BTW, I've run the system down a couple of times but it didn't help.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Thanks. I'll do this as a next step.

But I have another observation: I didn't realize it first but the server itself seems to be running very slow:e.g. it takes 15 sec to open My Computer and 30 sec to open the console on the server (occasionally over 1 min).

There is this one process consuming between 90%-100% CPU constantly.
    There is not much info. It is named " [System Process] ", Process ID 0, No Product name, Working set size: 0k yet is consuming all of my CPU.
    I can not stop this process.

May this cause slow backups?

Again thank you very much for your help.

Constant 90-100% CPU will definitely slow down responsiveness of your system and may even fry your CPU in the end. Cause could be a problem with your WHS or some other system software, malware or even hardware problem.

Download process explorer to identify the source of the CPU usage. If process explorer does not provide sufficient detail you want to use process monitor. Both of these tools come from the Sysinternals toolkit, a very useful set of tools and can be downloaded from Microsoft website. Once you know the culprit you may be able to eliminate it.

Alternative solutions would be server reinstall.

Can't help you any further, I'm off for holidays in a few hours.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Brubber,

The process making "a lot of  noise" has the description: "Hardware Interrupts" and is taking between 90% - 97% of CPU.
    Next to ProcessExplorer, I have also tried ProcessMonitor but I am not sure how to work with this program.

I wish I could past a printscreen. 
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Coluld be some problem with IDE controller driver Please check out this link. Otherwise do web search for "hardware interrupts causing high CPU usage". You will find more possible causes there. Could also be disk error. This FAQ describes how to run chkdsk on all disks. I

GOOD Luck
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Brubber,
    I was able to reduce CPU usage by deleting this PIO thing talked about in this article: http://frazzleddad.blogspot.com/2006/03/lousy-performance-high-hardware.html
    I have no idea what it means or does but uninstalling the driver reduced the CPU used by hardware interrupts.

Let's see tomorrow morning what effect it had on my backup speed.

Thanks for all your help!
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:37 PM
  • Brubber,
    I was able to reduce CPU usage by deleting this PIO thing talked about in this article: http://frazzleddad.blogspot.com/2006/03/lousy-performance-high-hardware.html
    I have no idea what it means or does but uninstalling the driver reduced the CPU used by hardware interrupts.

Let's see tomorrow morning what effect it had on my backup speed.

Thanks for all your help!
    Please run chkdsk as brubber has suggested. If your disk controller has dropped back to PIO mode, it's been detecting errors from your disks for a while, and has been stepping back the disk access mode to try to compensate. This usually indicates a problem either with one or more disks attached to the controller, or with the controller itself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:33 AM

• All,

Backup time has been reduced to normal! Thank you!

I have run chkdsk /f /r on D: but it did not produce any errors.
    I am not sure whether it checked all 4 HDD (1TB each). Probably not.

I have tried the script mentioned in the message above but it produced a returning error message:

net stop pdl

Windows home server drive letter service not started
    net stop whsbackup
    WHS computer backup not started

There is a referral to NET HELPMSG 3521.
    These are recurring messages (loop).

Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:07 PM

• All,

Backup time has been reduced to normal! Thank you!

I have run chkdsk /f /r on D: but it did not produce any errors.
    I am not sure whether it checked all 4 HDD (1TB each). Probably not.

I have tried the script mentioned in the message above but it produced a returning error message:

net stop pdl

Windows home server drive letter service not started
    net stop whsbackup
    WHS computer backup not started

There is a referral to NET HELPMSG 3521.
    These are recurring messages (loop).

Those services need to be running (especially whsbackup if your backups are going to work).  Type net start pdl and net start whsbackup to start those services again.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 4:23 AM
  • CHKDSK finalized on all drives and no errors found in the logs.
    Back up is again taking up normal time.
    CPU of the server is again running at normal %.

I am still concerned about this PIO thing so I'll keep on monitoring the situation but for now, things seem to back to normal.

I would like to thank you all for your help!
    I will keep you up to date in case there is some further development.

Again, I learned a lot about the system, THANK YOU!
    Monday, July 27, 2009 12:27 PM
  • I m having trouble completing the initial backup. The client seems to stall before completeing the backup. It is the same from two clients.

the WHS is built from an old dell which I installed two 160gb drives in for a total of close to 400 gb. this is an evaluation of WHS before I purchase and add more storage. While I have had some success making the WHS store video for my Tivo - I have not yet successfully completed a backup - the prime reason I am working with it.

The WHS is connected through a wired ethernet and the two clients are connected wirelessly. how do I figure out why it is stalling?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:03 AM
  • I m having trouble completing the initial backup. The client seems to stall before completeing the backup. It is the same from two clients.

the WHS is built from an old dell which I installed two 160gb drives in for a total of close to 400 gb. this is an evaluation of WHS before I purchase and add more storage. While I have had some success making the WHS store video for my Tivo - I have not yet successfully completed a backup - the prime reason I am working with it.

The WHS is connected through a wired ethernet and the two clients are connected wirelessly. how do I figure out why it is stalling?

It could be your wireless connection.  You might try a wired connection (which you really want to do for your first backup anyway, otherwise it will take forever).
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:53 AM