Backup Utility For Tape Drives? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of a realistically priced backup utility?  Because this is a server, you pay Business server prices! £400 is way out of reach for a simple home server... I think there is a gap here... WHS is going to be very popular, but people wont pay Server Prices for Antivirus...Backup Utils etc?

Also, does anyone know how much WHS will cost in the uk?

Cheers

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:39 AM

Answers

• Pricing has not been announced.

As for backing up WHS, the warning against using backup tools that used to be in the documentation has been removed. I don't know if that's because Microsoft corrected the problems that led to those warnings or if it's because they don't think most end users, when it's released, will try to back up WHS.

In any case, if you decide to try to back up WHS, you should probably fully back up the entire server (including secondary disks in the storage pool), and only restore the entire server. WHS has a lot of moving parts, and if they don't line up correctly you will probably experience data loss.

Even if you can't back up WHS, as long as you have more than one disk in the server and duplication turned on for important shares, you're protected against the loss of any single disk.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 12:21 PM
  •  mbc0 wrote:

Many Thanks for your reply.... however I find it very strange not to be able to backup your server?

On another quick note.. ;-) I find it easier to navigate & move & delete files through the d:\shares way, as it is quicker (definately for moving files around) & also I then have the added protection of the recycle bin, which you dont get through the network explorer... is there any problem with doing this?

I was thinking of backing up through the d:\shares method as well

Many Thanks

Backups: Consider that most users never back up their home PCs now. Windows Home Server protects client PCs through backups, and data stored on the server through share duplication. That's a huge improvement over today. With duplication you're protected against the loss of any single drive in the server; even if your system drive fails, all you lose (assuming multiple drives and duplication) is users and OS customizations, and possibly backups of client PCs (which isn't a problem, because you still have the client PCs themselves).

Data access: You should never access your data using Windows Explorer and D: \Shares. If you've got a single drive in your WHS, it's safe, but if you've got more than one, all you'll find under D:\Shares is NTFS reparse points. All file access should be through the shares. You have a level of protection using the shares because WHS uses Volume Shadow Copies to support the "Previous Versions" functionality built into XP and Vista. Right click any file, folder or share on WHS and select Properties. You should see a "Previous Versions" tab. Select it, and you have a way to roll back a file or folder, or copy an old version to another location for comparison. Snapshots of changed files are taken every 12 hours.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:29 PM

All replies

• Pricing has not been announced.

As for backing up WHS, the warning against using backup tools that used to be in the documentation has been removed. I don't know if that's because Microsoft corrected the problems that led to those warnings or if it's because they don't think most end users, when it's released, will try to back up WHS.

In any case, if you decide to try to back up WHS, you should probably fully back up the entire server (including secondary disks in the storage pool), and only restore the entire server. WHS has a lot of moving parts, and if they don't line up correctly you will probably experience data loss.

Even if you can't back up WHS, as long as you have more than one disk in the server and duplication turned on for important shares, you're protected against the loss of any single disk.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 12:21 PM
  • Many Thanks for your reply.... however I find it very strange not to be able to backup your server?

On another quick note.. ;-) I find it easier to navigate & move & delete files through the d:\shares way, as it is quicker (definately for moving files around) & also I then have the added protection of the recycle bin, which you dont get through the network explorer... is there any problem with doing this?

Many Thanks

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:55 PM
  •  mbc0 wrote:

Many Thanks for your reply.... however I find it very strange not to be able to backup your server?

Many Thanks

Backups: Consider that most users never back up their home PCs now. Windows Home Server protects client PCs through backups, and data stored on the server through share duplication. That's a huge improvement over today. With duplication you're protected against the loss of any single drive in the server; even if your system drive fails, all you lose (assuming multiple drives and duplication) is users and OS customizations, and possibly backups of client PCs (which isn't a problem, because you still have the client PCs themselves).

Data access: You should never access your data using Windows Explorer and D: \Shares. If you've got a single drive in your WHS, it's safe, but if you've got more than one, all you'll find under D:\Shares is NTFS reparse points. All file access should be through the shares. You have a level of protection using the shares because WHS uses Volume Shadow Copies to support the "Previous Versions" functionality built into XP and Vista. Right click any file, folder or share on WHS and select Properties. You should see a "Previous Versions" tab. Select it, and you have a way to roll back a file or folder, or copy an old version to another location for comparison. Snapshots of changed files are taken every 12 hours.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:29 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

Discussion in earlier posts of backing up WHS shares on a physically separate device suggests that this can not be done using proprietory backup software but could possibly be done by simply copying files using a synchronisation application.  Ken, are you saying that using backup tools on WHS shares is now possible?

This is an important issue because, while WHS clearly takes a sophisticated approach to safeguarding data, it only does so on a single physical device which, if stolen or melted in a fire, would provide no safeguard whatsoever.  I would really like to be able to keep my valuable data on a central server but also back up that data on a physically separate device (separated by some physical distance from the server) so that if the worst happened my data could be restored.

Has anyone currently using WHS been able to do this?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:50 PM
  • Yes, I have done it (backup AND restore a working system from backup), however it's not really simple.

However if you have some patience it will probably be integrated in the next version of the tookit:

http://mswhs.com/2007/11/13/exclusive-windows-home-server-tool-kit-updates/

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Hi , 

I have a requirement on SQL database backup (.sql file) 

Environment : 

MS SQL server is in Remote . I have a Tape Drive (HP Ultrium 5 LTO )( External SAS port)). I Want to Schedule my backups from SQL server to Tape Drive . This tape drive Physically connect to windows server 2008 r2 machine & Sql server 2008 is running in windows server 2008 r2  in remote .   Please suggest is there any software's to full fill this 

Is there any procedure to full fill my requirement .

Kindly update the solution 

Thanks in Advance , 

Sathyamnk Mail Id : sathyamnk@hotmail.com

sathyamnk2@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Hi , 

Environment : 

MS SQL server is in Remote . I have a Tape Drive (HP Ultrium 5 LTO )( External SAS port)). I Want to Schedule my backups from SQL server to Tape Drive . This tape drive Physically connect to windows server 2008 r2 machine & Sql server 2008 is running in windows server 2008 r2  in remote .   Please suggest is there any software's to full fill this 

Thanks in Advance , 

sathyamnk2@gmail.com

• Hi , 

Environment : 

Thanks in Advance , 

sathyamnk2@gmail.com