Problems with remote access using Windows Home Server Console RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WHS Console->settings->Remote Access to configure my server. When I go to test the connection, the WHS Remote Access tab shows my router IP address, however the Home Server IP address is a bunch of random characters. Is something corrupted that it doesn't have the server IP? I have a static IP address for the server.

• I have shut off remote access then turned back on
    • rebooted the server

Anyone have this happen? I must be missing something.

Thanks!

Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:19 PM

Answers

• I re-installed the server and it fixed the problem. It just took a LOT of time to get everything updated and loaded.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 5:55 AM

All replies

• I am using WHS Console->settings->Remote Access to configure my server. When I go to test the connection, the WHS Remote Access tab shows my router IP address, however the Home Server IP address is a bunch of random characters. Is something corrupted that it doesn't have the server IP? I have a static IP address for the server.
    • I have shut off remote access then turned back on
    • rebooted the server

Anyone have this happen? I must be missing something.

Thanks!

That's definitely not normal.  When you say "random characters", you mean letters and numbers both?  Can you post a pic (either here or a pic-sharing website and link to it here)?  You might try a Server Reinstallation (or, if your primary hard drive is failing, running chkdsk /r on both partitions).
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:11 AM
  • I've done some diagnostics and it seems the system finds everything to be ok. Below is a link to a doc with a screenshot of the WHS Console and what it sees my IP address as being. It turns out with a ipconfig /all it shows up in the list of IP addresses. However, there is only one address assigned to the adaptor and it's 192.168.0.254.

Any idea how that info got populated and into WHS console?

THanks!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AS3y7yjp1SkPZHc2OGc2cF8zZjhraGR3Zzc&hl=en

Monday, April 26, 2010 3:38 AM
  • I've done some diagnostics and it seems the system finds everything to be ok. Below is a link to a doc with a screenshot of the WHS Console and what it sees my IP address as being. It turns out with a ipconfig /all it shows up in the list of IP addresses. However, there is only one address assigned to the adaptor and it's 192.168.0.254.

Any idea how that info got populated and into WHS console?

THanks!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AS3y7yjp1SkPZHc2OGc2cF8zZjhraGR3Zzc&hl=en

That is IPv6.  As to how it got there, I don't know.  Did you install/activate any services/roles/etc. from the server desktop?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:06 AM
  • No I didn't activate any services/roles from the server desktop. Any idea as to get that fixed? Should I disable IPv6?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I re-installed the server and it fixed the problem. It just took a LOT of time to get everything updated and loaded.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 5:55 AM