Defrag & RAID RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am utilizing a RAID 1 configuration with VISTA.  With XP there were very few defrag programs that would work properly with RAID.  Will OneCare work with VIATA and RAID?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi, Rocky2of5.

Defrag in OneCare is the Vista Defrag program, run via a command line hook. If Vista's built in Defrag works on your RAID system, OneCare should not have a problem. However, you cannot turn off Defrag in OneCare and I have *no* experience with RAID personally, so I can't tell you that you won't encounter issues. Since RAID1 is simple mirroring, I suspect you should not have any issues.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi, Rocky2of5.

Defrag in OneCare is the Vista Defrag program, run via a command line hook. If Vista's built in Defrag works on your RAID system, OneCare should not have a problem. However, you cannot turn off Defrag in OneCare and I have *no* experience with RAID personally, so I can't tell you that you won't encounter issues. Since RAID1 is simple mirroring, I suspect you should not have any issues.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:42 PM
  • In my 15+ years of system admin experience, it's best NOT to defrag a RAID.

Perhaps you can rename the defrag util that Vista uses.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I'll defer to your experience, WoWPlayer, since I have never used a system with RAID. On the other hand, in doing some searches for information on the topic, it appeared that this was true in the past, but modern Defrag tools handle RAID setup just fine. Once again, though, I'll state I have *no* experience on this personally, so what I found in a quick search for the topic could well be completely incorrect.

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:31 PM
  • I don't use RAID myself, but a friend does. I don't know his exact configuration - whether it's RAID 0 or 1, but IIRC, he uses Diskeeper 2008 to defrag it. I don't think he has had any problems with it. From the Diskeeper website, it appears that Diskeeper ought to work properly on RAID setups.

http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/home/protechspecs.asp

Thursday, May 1, 2008 4:33 PM
  • There's no technical reason that defrag shouldn't work with RAID, I've been using it on servers for years and with every OS since at least Windows 2000. The only issues I've ever had is the inability of the built-in Windows defrag to deal with database files, which are generally locked and can't be moved, though I never experienced any failures or corruption as a result.

With the quality of consumer drives and power supplies, the extra drives running under heavy load are likely to overheat either the dirves, power suppliy or the whole system in general. This isn't a problem with the defrag software it's simply cheap hardware.

OneCareBear

Friday, May 2, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Rocky2of5,

I am currently using a system with a Raid 5 configuration and defrag works fine (Vista's and One Care's).

My old Raid 1 XP system worked fine with One Care, too.

Bart572915

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:16 AM