OneCare 2 and Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I use both OneCare 2.0 Beta and Windows Home Server and recently I came across this article on The Windows Experience Blog (http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2007/07/19/demo-windows-live-onecare-2-0.aspx) that states the following:

Windows Live OneCare 2.0 takes into account PC's being backed up to a Windows Home Server.

What I'd like to know is is this refering to a planned feature for a later release or is this statement just incorrect?

Cheers.
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 2:29 AM

Answers

• What actually happens when you install 2.0 on a computer connected to WHS is after install there will be One Care actions to take. Usually it asks you to activate and to configure backup. If you read the text in the main One Care window where the action to take is to configure backup, it will say that your computer is set to be backed up by Windows Home Server. It then says you can choose WHS backup, One Care backup or use both. I would say that statement is correct but you will only see the WHS backup reference in One Care on the main window before you configure backup for the first time and it's easy to miss.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:53 AM

All replies

• What actually happens when you install 2.0 on a computer connected to WHS is after install there will be One Care actions to take. Usually it asks you to activate and to configure backup. If you read the text in the main One Care window where the action to take is to configure backup, it will say that your computer is set to be backed up by Windows Home Server. It then says you can choose WHS backup, One Care backup or use both. I would say that statement is correct but you will only see the WHS backup reference in One Care on the main window before you configure backup for the first time and it's easy to miss.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:53 AM
  • So is this only on the release of OneCare 2.0 or is it in the OneCare 2.0 Beta?
    I am running OneCare 2.0 Beta on three of my four computers, all four computers are being backed up to WHS, yet on none of the three machines running the Beta have I seen a WHS note or option. I have been into the backup settings and checked what options I could set for the backup device and WHS was definetely not listed.

Not complaining though, just curious.
    Friday, August 3, 2007 12:20 AM
  • You will only see this once, before One Care backup is configured for the first time. Like I said, it's easy to miss. Once you have configured backup you will not see the WHS backup message again.

Friday, August 3, 2007 12:45 AM
  • I would sure like to see option, I thought I looked at all the options and I don't recall having seen it.  Perhaps it is due to the fact that I installed 1.6??? and it upgraded itself to the 2.0 beta?

Sunday, August 5, 2007 7:59 AM
  • Cheers for that Jim,

I actually re-read and noticed that after I posted the question.

Still, I would presume that the official release will have the ability to access that option after the initial install? Would be annoying having to re-install a piece of software due to missing an option that's only displayed during the install process.

Monday, August 6, 2007 6:19 AM
  • The option to choose your backup strategy is always available, just the reminder only appears once. You can change to WHS backup only, One Care backup only, or both at any time.

Monday, August 6, 2007 1:48 PM
  • Hi again Jim,

Well that definetely makes a lot more sense than it only being available during the install, which is what it sounded like you where saying, however if that is the case then there definetely is an issue as the option is definetely not available on any of my machines using OneCare 2.0 Beta and being backed up by WHS RC.

Anyone able to confirm that they have this option with this configuration?

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 12:32 AM
  • I'm not sure how you want to back up but if you want to use WHS only for backup, turn off One Care backup. If you want to use One Care backup with WHS as a backup destination open One Care backup>Configure backup>Change Settings. Then in the left column select either "Backup plan for all PCs" or one of the PCs you want to back up to WHS. Next, sleect change location, then select "Add network location". Use the browse button to find WHS on your network, then select it.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 12:45 AM
  •  JimR1 wrote:

I'm not sure how you want to back up but if you want to use WHS only for backup, turn off One Care backup. If you want to use One Care backup with WHS as a backup destination open One Care backup>Configure backup>Change Settings. Then in the left column select either "Backup plan for all PCs" or one of the PCs you want to back up to WHS. Next, sleect change location, then select "Add network location". Use the browse button to find WHS on your network, then select it.

Jim, this post makes it sound like you would still be using OneCare to do the backup to a folder on the WHS. That is different than WHS initiating the backup. I also do not see any option for telling OneCare that WHS will be handling the backup of the machines on the network. What am I (and others) missing?

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:01 PM
  • If you install One Care after WHS, One Care will prompt you to choose which program will handle the backups. If you have added WHS after One Care was installed you can choose your backup strategy manually. To have WHS perform backup just turn off One Care backup. If One Care backup is turned off on each computer and WHS is configured to handle the backups the status of the computers in your One Care Circle will be good. I only mention the option of using WHS as a backup location for One Care for anyone who would like files and folders backed up in addition to a WHS full backup. While full backups are convenient there are occasions where they might be less desirable than just a file backup. For example if a PC degrades over time because of many software installations and uninstallations or if there is a malware infection or operating system damage due to malware or user error, that gets backed up as well in a full backup so it might be more desirable to reinstall the operating system then restore your files. What I do when I set up a computer is install the operating system and updates, configure my personal settings and install all of my applications. I then make a full image backup. Thereafter I only back up files and folders. If I ever have a need to restore my system I have a fresh,clean backup. That's how I back up but everyone has different needs. What I was trying tosay in the post you quoted is that you can use WHS, One Care, or both for backup depending on your needs. I guess I just didn't explain it very well.

Friday, July 4, 2008 5:31 PM