Error in Top 5 Pages RRS feed

• Question

• Congratulations on the new webmaster tools...much better.

Although there does seem to be a  small problem with what is displaying in our information. The tools report that the "domain score" is high (5) and that the top 5 pages also ahve a high page score (5). The problem is that the 3 of the 5 top pages are contact forms on our site, without any optimisation (and I mean none, not even the simplist items ; no title, metadata, etc). Some other pages on our site rank well in MSN and yet these contact forms are the highest? I am not seeing this. And I am just not feeling the love . The Tools also report that the site has about 1300 backlinks, no crawl errors, no blocks and everything else in the tools seems to be ok.

So my question are:
    1. Are these "top 5 pages" results in error?
    2. If not, then why are these pages listed as the top ranked?
    3. Can you please define "top 5 pages"? What exactly does it mean?

I have also posted in the webmaster general section about the site not ranking properly in the Live search engine, where as it ranks well in the  other SEs. The website is http://www.proofcreative.com.au.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lordok.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:45 PM

Answers

•  

It is literally the top 5 pages based on your page score--not necessarily the top 5 visited pages. Please email the URLs you want removed to my MS email and I will open a request for you. Jeremiah is still looking at the other issue.

Thanks,

Brett
    Monday, September 15, 2008 5:44 PM

All replies

• Could you let me know what is showing and what you think should show? This might answer both questions...

Brett

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:16 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply.

The top 5 pages are showing (in order) as;
    1.  home page
    2. a "branding test" form.. /adelaide-brand-development/branding.html
    3. our "contact us" form ..../adelaide-web-graphic-design-branding/contact-proof.html
    4. our "website review" form.../web-design-adelaide/website-review.html
    5. our photography portfolio... /adelaide-photography-portfolio/photography.html

As you can see 3 of the 5 top pages are our forms which are not optimised at all.

I would imagine that the top 5 pages might refer one of the following;

1. highest ranking pages in MSN
    2. the most commonly appearing in SERPs
    3. the greatest number of hits/click throughs
    4. (other) - not sure what?

Although, looking at search results, the site statistics and referrals from MSN Live search results, none of the above would seem to apply. And with the exception (possibly) of the home page.

1. Other internal pages rank much better than these pages.
    2. These pages are unlikely to be the most common in SERPS.
    3. Considering that these pages probably do not even have a reasonable rank, it is unlikely that they would get higher traffic than other pages.

I posted a thread back on the 24th April about our site not indexing properly (even after 6 months). That seemed to come right within a couple of days of posting in this forum. The webmaster tools have been displaying similar results to that above since that date. I also posted a tread a few days ago about our site rankings; which also seems not to be in keeping with the other SEs. I can't help but think it is all tied together somehow (?)

Thanks again for your assistance.

Lordok.

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:05 AM
  • Also it is worth noting that the webmaster tools says that there are 325 pages indexed. We only have between 60-70 pages.

Is there an explanation as to why there is such a huge difference?

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:42 AM
  •  

We are currently experiencing a live-wide inconsistency in regards to indexed pages. Running the “site:” operator, the result initially shows 290 pages indexed, but if you skip ahead to the last page, it collapses to the correct number which is 68. I'll see what I can find out about the other.

Brett

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply. I was also hoping that the other "mystery pages" were not in some way interferring with my Live ranking (?) ...i.e. duplicate entries in the SE.

Thanks for looking into the other.

Cheers.

Lordok.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:19 PM
  • No, it shouldn't hurt your ranking any.

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks.

Did you manage to find out  why the reporting tools are reporting the top 5 pages as they are?

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Hi Brett,

The reporting tools are now showing 4 of the 5 top pages as our forms (which are not optimised at all).

the domain score is 5/5 and all the page scores are 5/5 also.

Did you manage to find out what those 5 pages represent?

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:16 AM
  • Hi Brett,

The number of pages in the webmaster tools seems to now be more in keeping with our site. Although there are still some old pages indexed. Is it possible to remove these old pages from the index?

Also have you uncovered anything with regards to the Top 5 Pages?

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 2:04 AM
  • Hi Brett,

The top 5 pages listed in the webmaster tools seems to be exactly the same first 5 in the "site:" search command.

Are you able to find out how these pages are ordered from the "site:" request in the Live search engine? It would seem that they are not in order of ranking within the search engine (i.e. they are not the top 5 ranked pages).

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:06 AM
  •  

It is literally the top 5 pages based on your page score--not necessarily the top 5 visited pages. Please email the URLs you want removed to my MS email and I will open a request for you. Jeremiah is still looking at the other issue.

Thanks,

Brett
    Monday, September 15, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply. I apologise for the delay in my response. I have now sent the email to your MS email with the list of old URLs for removal.

Thanks again for your assistance.

regards,

Lordok.
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 12:44 PM