Windows XP SP2, Reinstall Problems. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a genuine version of Windows for some time, on our home office computer.

Due to a disobedient grandchild, I have twice had the need to do a complete Format and re-install, fortunately for me I have continued with the habit of both backing up and initiating FandS transfer wizard, on a weekly basis, so at least my records are secure.

However, this time, after installing windows from my Genuine Windows disk I received a message to the intent that the Microsoft records show that this software had been installed too often (in fact in total about five times over the years), and tell me I need to buy a new key.

I find this unacceptable - I have an original and genuine version of the software, every time I have to re-install I have used the same User Name, Company Name, and Computer name, there is ample information and evidence in the computer for microsoft to check that this is a genuine re-install, but I am still asked to purchase the software over again.

What can I do

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:07 AM

Answers

• Ropate,

This is expected behavior when several installations of XP are done using the same Product Key within a certain time frame.

The solution is easy and painless----start the Activation Wizard, choose the option to activate your product by telephone, and follow the displayed prompts.  Most people tell us it takes less than seven minutes from start to finish.

A better solution which saves time, and eliminates the need to reactivate, revalidate, and redownload all those updates, is to use a disk-imaging based backup utility, such as Acronis TrueImage, Norton Ghost/Save and Restore, or the free DriveImageXML.

Friday, May 11, 2007 4:10 PM

All replies

• Ropate,

This is expected behavior when several installations of XP are done using the same Product Key within a certain time frame.

The solution is easy and painless----start the Activation Wizard, choose the option to activate your product by telephone, and follow the displayed prompts.  Most people tell us it takes less than seven minutes from start to finish.

A better solution which saves time, and eliminates the need to reactivate, revalidate, and redownload all those updates, is to use a disk-imaging based backup utility, such as Acronis TrueImage, Norton Ghost/Save and Restore, or the free DriveImageXML.

Friday, May 11, 2007 4:10 PM
  • The whole point is that when you purchase software you do not expect to have to go through additional grief every time you try to maintain your OWN System. My Computer, My Records, and My Life do not belong to Microsoft. When I purchase software I engage Microsoft in a contract to allow me the quiet enjoyment of that software on my single computer, when I like, and to reinstall it as many times as it is necessary to maintain the credibility of my system. Got It!
    Monday, May 14, 2007 2:02 PM
  • Ropate,

I'm sorry, I thought you posted to get an explanation for what was happening, a solution to the problem, and a suggestion for avoiding the problem.

But I see you'd much rather rant, so go right ahead, we won't bother you anymore.

Monday, May 14, 2007 4:28 PM
  • realdownload
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:18 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Ropate,

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:57 PM
  • Good, Hi, I have my computer with windwos XP from shop, but on power with message "is copy".

I don't have licence.

can do you help me?

thank you

Friday, June 1, 2007 4:48 PM
  • Melvin2344,

Please educate yourself about Microsoft's Product Life Cycle by reading this article:  http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:35 PM
  • The article you refer to only talks about support not a persons right to use the software after the life cycle has ended. Activation of purchased software could cause a big embarresment for Microsoft if they decide that they will no longer allow it after a life cycle stops.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:46 PM
  • BrownAnonymous,

Your concerns are addressed in the Microsoft Product Activation FAQ:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/302878#4h

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:48 PM
  •  I agree with you. I bought this software new, because I had VISTA, and it sucked. I have 2 printers and lots of other hardware that only worked with XP. But I have had corruptions and bad crashes, where the computer wouldnt start. So I thought I could just re-install from my CD. But no, Microsoft will not allow installing it so many times. And the solution is more expensive than the software I just bought. Its my damn computer, and I cant f'ng use it. This same thing has happened with my XP pro 64 bit, and my VISTA 32 bit. I cant use them either, but I bought them new in the last year.

I dont have a home phone, and my cell doesnt work at home. I am  getting sick of this.

Monday, September 3, 2007 2:18 AM
  •  

Chimesickle,

You state that XP Pro 64 bit, XP, and VISTA 32 bit do not work at all or frequently crash on your computer.

You may want to stop pointing fingers at the Operating System and start figuring out what defective components on your computer are causing the crashes.

Sorry I can't help you with the phone problems---they seem to be self-inflicted wounds.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:56 PM
  • i dont beleive he was pointing fingers at the os, but the activation scheme.

i have similar problems and i expect the need to reinstall to get everything just right. however, when you spend several hundred dollars for a full version of any software, the last thing you expect is the need to play 20 questions with a snotty foreign girl, whom only wants to hear this is the first time [not first component or computer] the os has been installed. otherwise your told your sol and need to purchase a valid license.

i have 2 oem copies of mce05 i had to trash before purchasing a full retail copy of xp home. it's the same system only changes were... went from onboard video to an x1900gt [was not stable needed reinstal] no problem..

added 250gb hd and new printer, messed with settings became unstable, attempt reinstall told to buy license.

2nd mce license could not get stable several reinstalls no luck license ended up invalidated via 800 number and snotty foreign girl. i have receipts btw from newegg, told girl no luck, told i should get full retail copy decided on xp home this time... all went well till i upgraded my video card to 8800gts, going from ati to nvidia drivers can be very painfull...

1st reinstal of retail copy and i'm on the phone again... it was heading in the "your code has been invalidated please purchase a valid license" direction again, but somehow ended ok. i am becoming terrified of reinstalling microsoft products. i have heard vista activation is worse no matter what copy you get. i think it's pretty and would like to upgrade, but with the luck i'm having with the xp validation scheme i'm worried my copy of vista would become invalidated out of the box.btw none of my equipment is older than 6 months. and i have the $3200 newegg preffered account statement to prove it.

personally i would like to see a solid state drive with windows preinstalled on it that you simply plug into whatever you want laptop or desktop with no ula worries. no piracy concerns, no activation, no bs. just build or buy a system, plug it in and off ya go. upgrade whatever, change whatever, who cares. just add hard drives to store your programs, files, music, but your os is locked away all safe and snuggly by it's self on it's very own gate's brand flash drive.

as for the phone woe's i think he lives in a remote location not serviced by the phone companies. it's funny, nowadays you can get tv and internet where even the phone and utility companies won't go. 

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:51 AM
  • Brian02 it would seem that your solid state bit may not be far around the corner. The days of having a powerful PC with OS and programs on your PC could be coming to an end. The 'thin client' or terminal is coming back with large computing systems on the internet doing the donkey work.I see that Google is working on that idea with others following. As for it being a better idea I'm not so sure.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Brian102,

The only situation that would violate the OEM EULA for MCE is if you replaced the computer's motherboard due to a reason other than it was defective.  All other hardware changes are permitted, and do not violate the EULA.  Reinstallations are also keeping within the EULA, even a lot of reinstallations on the same computer.  Since you purchased the MCEs at newegg, it would be expected that these MCEs were systembuilder/OEM licenses rather than major manufacturer licenses, so there should not have been any requirement to purchase a new license.  If you encounter Microsoft activation reps who do not comply with this, please ask to be refered to a supervisor.

Friday, October 19, 2007 9:24 PM
  •  

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:22 PM