Need to replace motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I keep regular backups on the home PCs and laptops using WHS.

During a recent severe summer thunderstorm it seems that a power strike frizzled the motherboard on a family PC - the switch on the back of the PSU was off however I had not turned off the wall switch - as I noted it was a hell of a storm.

Anyway I have a current backup of the system on the server but need guidance on how I restore when it is a new board.  The HDD and memory have been tested on another system and seem OK.

I have restored before using WHS when upgrading a HDD however with the board I am unsure of driver and OS issues.

Thanks

Monday, January 26, 2009 10:45 PM

Answers

• Unless the motherboard is the same as the one that was damaged, you may find that you are unable to successfully restore the system exactly as it was. Different hardware means that you need different drivers; having the wrong drivers is very likely to cause the computer to fail to boot. While there are ways to get it to boot anyway, they are completely unsupported. And unfortunately Windows Home Server's restore functionality is designed tor estore to identical (or nearly so) hardware.

In your situation, I would reinstall the operating system and any required software, then recover individual files from a recent backup as needed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:22 AM

All replies

• Unless the motherboard is the same as the one that was damaged, you may find that you are unable to successfully restore the system exactly as it was. Different hardware means that you need different drivers; having the wrong drivers is very likely to cause the computer to fail to boot. While there are ways to get it to boot anyway, they are completely unsupported. And unfortunately Windows Home Server's restore functionality is designed tor estore to identical (or nearly so) hardware.

In your situation, I would reinstall the operating system and any required software, then recover individual files from a recent backup as needed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:22 AM
  • Thanks - I had a feeling that would be the case.  You are right in that all the data files I need are there and it will simply be a matter of copying them across once the new m/board is up and running.

Regards

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:59 AM