none
Spam Mitigation (SharePoint Forums) RRS feed

• Question

• I cleaned up about 8 to 10 pages of spam this morning from the SharePoint 2010 and 2013 General forums.

I think we (moderators) need better tools to manage spam.  When dealing with so many pages of spam, it takes a fairly good chunk of time.  I won't complain about volunteering; I understand that managing spam is part of that, and I'll continue to delete spam as needed, but there are better uses of my time with regards to these forums.  I would like to see the following changes:

1) A Spam button next to the other buttons at the top of the post which immediately deletes the post.  This would reduce the amount of time it takes to delete a spam post.  Right now I have to click Delete, enter an explanation (copy-paste "spam"), then click the button to confirm the deletion.  For standard users, this would mark the post as spam automatically to be dealt with by a moderator.

2) Once the post is marked as spam, create a new view called "Spam" for filtering purposes.  This would allow moderators and above go through just the posts marked as spam to quickly deal with them.

3) ... If possible, and this would likely be best, allow us to have an option to select multiple posts and delete them in batch.  Right now I have to go into each post in order to delete them.  It takes time.  But if this isn't possible, then option #1 and #2 would at least be better than what we currently have.

To combat the influx of spam posts, which were better for a few months, but I would say they're approaching how bad it was late last year...

1) Please please please rate limit posting!  I often see 10+ spam messages created within a few seconds.  If there was just a rate limit of say 2 new posts per minute per forum, that would go a long ways towards combating the number of spam messages we currently get.  I realize that stopping all spam is not practical.  I would say do not rate limit replies as I will often reply to numerous posts within a short period of time within the same forum if the opportunity arises, as will other MCCs/MVPs and so forth.

2) Can you have a 'banned list' of key phrases?  I don't think there is any applicable reason to have "call girls" anywhere in a post on this forum.

3) Even better would be what is known on reddit as a 'shadow ban'.  This is a type of ban that allows you to post, but no one else (besides moderators) can see your post (and all of your posts are highlighted in such a way to indicate that it is a shadow banned account).  I don't know if there is data to support the prolonged use of a spammer's account if they're not banned, but this may be an interesting way to let spammers continue to spam while their posts are effectively invisible to the general population.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:59 PM

Answers

• If there's someone monitoring then I've had good luck sending user activity to fissues at Microsoft dot com.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:18 PM

All replies

• If there's someone monitoring then I've had good luck sending user activity to fissues at Microsoft dot com.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:18 PM
  • For these particular forums, I can handle removing posts and whatnot, but it would be nice to see some preventative measures or at least providing Moderators with better tools to handle the mass influx of spam posts.

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:53 PM
  • For these particular forums, I can handle removing posts and whatnot, but it would be nice to see some preventative measures or at least providing Moderators with better tools to handle the mass influx of spam posts.

-----------------------

There is a large forum update being worked on, but you can send your feedback to fissues at Microsoft.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, May 24, 2013 11:21 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks, I've sent off this post to fissues.

-----------------------

Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:37 AM