Can I clean install and retain data? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems with my WHS setup.  Here is a little summary of what has transpired so far.

• Installed WHS with a Clean Install onto a PATA drive (120GB).  The machine is a 2GHz P4 with 512MB RAM.
    • After a day or two I added two SATA drives (200GB and 300GB).  One drive was added and ran for a couple days and then the second was added.
    • Performed several backups added lots of files to the shared folders.
    • Experienced problems with the system that I attributed to the 300GB drive which I suspected of being faulty.  Those problems included very very slow backups that would eventually fail.
    • Using the WHS tools I went through the process of disconnecting the 300GB SATA drive which it completed successfully
    • I replaced the 300GB SATA with a 500GB PATA
    • Again using the tools in WHS I added the 500GB PATA to the system, seemingly without problems
    • At this point my CPU started to peg at 100% and stayed that way for more than 24 hours.  I even added more memory bumping it up to 1GB of RAM.
    • Using the Task Manager, the offending process was qsm.exe
    • After reading several posts related to my qsm problem it appears that Beta2 has no solution for this problem.
    • I performed an "Upgrade" installation thinking that would erase and reformat the system partition but all of my data and backups could e maintained.
    • The Upgrade install has failed miserably with a plethora of varied error messages

So, my question then is......

Can I disconnect all of my drives expect the 120GB "primary" and perform a clean install and then after that completes, attach my other drives and still retain the data on those drives?

Brett

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 2:59 PM

Answers

• Forget the backups, you need to transfer your shared folders somewhere then set up the server with the 500GB as the primary disk.  Wipe and install WHS then move/copy the shared folders to that disk.  After that, you can add anything you want to the storage pool.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:16 PM
  • If you do a clean install with the extra drives detached, then reattach them, I expect WHS will see them as new and want to add them to the storage pool. You should be able to copy the files off of them to the shares on WHS before you add the drives to the pool at that point, assuming you have enough space available.

But I agree with the other poster that your best bet is to copy off any data you want to preserve now, then reinstall with the 500 GB PATA drive as your primary master, abandoning your current WHS installation. If there were a new public beta in the immediate future, I would say wait for that, but while recent posts by Charlie Kindel suggest we might get another beta release, no time frame has been mentioned. If you've already activated WHS, you'll need to obtain a new product key (you're allowed up to 5), as each key can only be activated once.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Ok so that is pretty much what I figured.  I am not concerned with the backups but I am concerned about the data on the shared folders.  I have not tried this yet, but can these drives be removed and read by another PC? 

I am not certain that I will be able to access the shared folders as the WHS upgrade has failed pretty miserably.  So I am not sure if the folders will be accessible remotely.

Are these drives using a format that would prevent an XP box from reading them?  I'm not worried about the system drive.  My concern is primarily for the two drives that were added.  If I can take them to an XP box and transfer the data that would be much faster than using my network connection.  And I am thinking that if the duplication worked, I would only need to take one of the drives to the XP box.

Thanks!

Brett

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 4:11 PM
  •  Da Ghost wrote:

Ok so that is pretty much what I figured. I am not concerned with the backups but I am concerned about the data on the shared folders. I have not tried this yet, but can these drives be removed and read by another PC?

Yes, the drives can be read on another PC. They are formatted as NTFS drives, and the files should be in the same folder hierarchy you see (saw) on your WHS.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 5:03 PM
  • Excellent.  I knew they were NTFS but wasn't sure if there were other tricks that might prevent this.  I'll give this a try tonight.

Thanks for the assist

Brett

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 6:05 PM

All replies

• Forget the backups, you need to transfer your shared folders somewhere then set up the server with the 500GB as the primary disk.  Wipe and install WHS then move/copy the shared folders to that disk.  After that, you can add anything you want to the storage pool.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:16 PM
  • If you do a clean install with the extra drives detached, then reattach them, I expect WHS will see them as new and want to add them to the storage pool. You should be able to copy the files off of them to the shares on WHS before you add the drives to the pool at that point, assuming you have enough space available.

But I agree with the other poster that your best bet is to copy off any data you want to preserve now, then reinstall with the 500 GB PATA drive as your primary master, abandoning your current WHS installation. If there were a new public beta in the immediate future, I would say wait for that, but while recent posts by Charlie Kindel suggest we might get another beta release, no time frame has been mentioned. If you've already activated WHS, you'll need to obtain a new product key (you're allowed up to 5), as each key can only be activated once.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Ok so that is pretty much what I figured.  I am not concerned with the backups but I am concerned about the data on the shared folders.  I have not tried this yet, but can these drives be removed and read by another PC? 

I am not certain that I will be able to access the shared folders as the WHS upgrade has failed pretty miserably.  So I am not sure if the folders will be accessible remotely.

Are these drives using a format that would prevent an XP box from reading them?  I'm not worried about the system drive.  My concern is primarily for the two drives that were added.  If I can take them to an XP box and transfer the data that would be much faster than using my network connection.  And I am thinking that if the duplication worked, I would only need to take one of the drives to the XP box.

Thanks!

Brett

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 4:11 PM
  •  Da Ghost wrote:

Ok so that is pretty much what I figured. I am not concerned with the backups but I am concerned about the data on the shared folders. I have not tried this yet, but can these drives be removed and read by another PC?

Yes, the drives can be read on another PC. They are formatted as NTFS drives, and the files should be in the same folder hierarchy you see (saw) on your WHS.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 5:03 PM
  • Excellent.  I knew they were NTFS but wasn't sure if there were other tricks that might prevent this.  I'll give this a try tonight.

Thanks for the assist

Brett

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Hi Da Ghost,

I've had a similar farkle with Reinstall failure of CTP over the Beta2. I tried putting both of my drives in my MCE2005 box...although I can read the file structure, the files themselves can't read or even copied. I'm still looking for a solution...

Rydo

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:13 AM