Windows XP Pro OEM RRS feed

• Question

• I want buy Windows XP Pro but retail version is just too expensive and i thought about OEM version. I would like to know what is exactlly difference between retail and OEM version? Will i be able to get all support/downloads from Microsoft?

I tried XP x64 trial, which you can upgrade to full version later, but i'm not happy with it coz not all app's support 64-bit version .

Cheers
    Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:35 AM

Answers

• OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation.
    -- must be installed "clean" on a freshly reformatted drive or partition.
    -- cannot be transferred to a different computer or if motherboard is upgraded.
    -- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user.
    -- are not eligible for free Microsoft technical support.
     -- any problems whatsoever with the installation CD or Product Key.
        is not eligible for Microsoft support....you have to deal with the "seller".
    -- cost less than "retail versions" due to the above limitations/risks.

Best Advice:  Purchase a "Retail Version" of Windows XP!

Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:57 AM

All replies

• OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation.
    -- must be installed "clean" on a freshly reformatted drive or partition.
    -- cannot be transferred to a different computer or if motherboard is upgraded.
    -- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user.
    -- are not eligible for free Microsoft technical support.
     -- any problems whatsoever with the installation CD or Product Key.
        is not eligible for Microsoft support....you have to deal with the "seller".
    -- cost less than "retail versions" due to the above limitations/risks.

Best Advice:  Purchase a "Retail Version" of Windows XP!

Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:57 AM
  • Thanks, i looked around and if everything will be alright i'll be able to buy retail version almost for the same money as OEM version . Sometimes you can buy thig off the web for amazing prices, it's just takes some time to find them .

Cheers

Sunday, August 27, 2006 11:15 AM
  • BigAndy,

These forums are filled with people who thought they too would "buy thig off the web for amazing prices, it's just takes some time to find them".  Now they find out they spent good money for bogus software.

Buyer beware.

Monday, August 28, 2006 4:17 PM
  • -- cannot be transferred to a different computer or if motherboard is upgraded

So if I build my own computor with an oem version of windows, like I have for the last 12 years, and my motherboard dies I can't replace it or upgrade it without voiding my OS license? That's rediculous. I don't care about the other limitations and lack of tech support but not being able to upgrade your motherboard is just stupid.

Way to go overboard with their antipiracy efforts.

Guess I'll switch to a Mac

Friday, September 1, 2006 10:21 AM
  • Mcmmcm,

Carey wrote "upgraded" which is not the same as "dies" which is what you wrote.

There is an exception that covers replacing a defective motherboard.  That would be "dies."

Upgrading would be replacing the motherboard to, say,  add support for a new variety of RAM or a new line of processors.

Friday, September 1, 2006 3:20 PM
  • But if your motherboards waranty is over and it's dies then you are screwed anyway.

I think this all motherboard stuff it's just one big bullsh*t, why Microsoft can't make user life a bit better and do some exceptions. Does Mr. Gates don't have enough money???

Friday, September 1, 2006 10:56 PM
  • Purchase a "Retail Version" of Windows XP if you want to upgrade to a different motherboard in the future.  One of the reasons an "OEM Version" costs less is because its license is forever tied to the very first motherboard it is activated with.
    Friday, September 1, 2006 11:00 PM
  • If I have an OEM WinXP on my laptop could you tell me if I could upgrade to any of the next Windows Vista versions?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 9:16 AM
  •  Gabriell wrote:

If I have an OEM WinXP on my laptop could you tell me if I could upgrade to any of the next Windows Vista versions?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:20 PM
  • It's now 26th Nov and Vista launch is much closer.

No-one answered Gabriell in Sept, does anyone have n answer now?

I want to know if I can upgrade from XPPro OEM to Vista Business (Retail).

Also, I would prefer a 'clean' install.

Can I insert my XP PRO OEM disc during the installation of Vista as verification of a qualifying product?

Many thanks, I think many people would like to know the answer to the above.

MorrisG

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:09 AM
  • Yes, you can perform an upgrade or a clean install with the retail upgrade version of Windows Vista Business Edition.  The clean install process is much different with Vista compared to Windows XP.  The upgrade version of Windows Vista does not permit booting from the Windows Vista upgrade DVD.  You must begin the clean install process while at your Windows XP desktop.  No more inserting an older Windows CD for upgrade eligibility.  You must actually be running a genuine Windows XP operating system in order to perform an upgrade or a clean install.
    Monday, November 27, 2006 11:08 PM
  • Prozac works
    Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:46 PM
  •  Related question: what version of Windows comes on cd in the mail?  I was thinking it MIGHT be OEM, so that a person can upgrade their current computer only, but I'm not sure.  If it is the full retail version that I can use 5 years from now on a new computer, then it seems like a very fair deal.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 2:16 PM
  • Does the upgrade actually check whether the copy of XP is authentic or not? I ask only because I bought my computer second hand a couple of years ago with XP Pro already on it but I only just checked it's authenticity and it came up as a non authentic copy. I now want to upgrade to Vista Ultimate using an upgrade disc but I'm in the same situation as most people in the world and cannot afford to pay double the price of the upgrade disc for a full disc (as it is I can barely afford the upgrade disc). Will Microsoft help me as I'm trying to do the right thing? Or am I going to be shafted?
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007 6:47 AM
  • Astrant,

I now want to upgrade to a Lexus LS 470 but I'm in the same situation as most people in the world and cannot afford to pay.  Will Lexus help me as I'm trying to do the right thing? Or am I going to be shafted?

Saturday, January 13, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Dan at IT SmartAssociates,

I now want to upgrade to a person that can give me helpful advice but I'm in the same situation as most people in the world and get analogies about cars people want.  Will anyone help me as I'm trying to do the right thing? Or am I going to be shafted with worthless analogies?

The point Astrant was making is that the copy "came up as a non authentic copy".

Astrant, it looks as if your copy is illegal. Sorry, but you will need to purchase a lesser model... err, another version of the software. ;D

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:08 PM
  •  Better Advice wrote:

Dan at IT SmartAssociates,

I now want to upgrade to a person that can give me helpful advice but I'm in the same situation as most people in the world and get analogies about cars people want.  Will anyone help me as I'm trying to do the right thing? Or am I going to be shafted with worthless analogies?

The point Astrant was making is that the copy "came up as a non authentic copy".

Astrant, it looks as if your copy is illegal. Sorry, but you will need to purchase a lesser model... err, another version of the software. ;D

Touche!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 10:42 PM