Severe fragmentation caused by SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having some problems with severe fragmentation caused by SyncToy, and I was wondering if this is a known issue and if there are any workarounds for it.

I formatted my backup drive, and because it is storing large files I set the NTFS allocation size to 16KB. Most of the files being backed up are 150MB-4GB, so 16KB seemed reasonable. I then ran SyncToy to backup these files. When I was done I ran Disk Defragmenter and it complained that the volume was severely fragmented. The files that are the most fragmented are also the largest files. Since the disk was empty before I ran SyncToy, I assume that it caused the fragmentation, and it also seems that there should have been no fragmentation issues at all given that these are large conguous write-once files.

Has anyone had a similar experience and does anyone have any thoughts on how to avoid fragmentation going forward?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:07 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

This is something we can look into for a future release.  Unfortunately for now, I don't think we have good workaround.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Jesse
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

This is something we can look into for a future release.  Unfortunately for now, I don't think we have good workaround.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Jesse
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Ah well, thanks for looking into it at least. :)
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:52 PM