2Wire 2701HG-B and WHS Remote RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to set up Windows Home Server for remote access with the above router from AT&T.  I can successfully set it up by putting the WHS box in the "DMZ" - but of course when the box is in the DMZ it can't be seen or accessed from inside the network and all the client PCs on my network start to error out because they can no longer contact the server.  If I put the WHS box back on the main network and try to use firewall exceptions, the box can no longer be accessed from the Internet -  but the Windows Home Server console says that both the Web and Remote access are tested and working fine from the Internet.

I have opened ports 80, 443, 3389 and 4125 on the firewall and pointed them all to the appropriate points on the WHS box, no go.  Only putting the WHS box in the DMZ works.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:36 AM

Answers

• Open for 80 and 443 and closed for 4125 are normal for Windows Home Server. Can you confirm that you've tested from off-site? Many routers have issues looping back to their external address when configured for port forwarding.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 12:33 AM

All replies

• Richard, you can use a site such as Shields Up! to test your connectivity. That's probably the most reliable way to determine if your configuration is correct. You will want to do a custom port scan of ports 80, 443, and 4125. If any of those ports report STEALTH, either you haven't correctly configured port forwarding or your ISP is blocking that port.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Yup - just did, now very confused.  80 and 443 are showing as completely open (FAILED! in red letters) so unless I miss my guess I should be able to at least open HTTP or HTTPS traffic to my server.  4125 is showing as "Closed" so I'm guessing that means the port is open but no one's listening on it.

It isn't ISP blocking (I don't think) because putting the machine into the DMZ on the router makes everything work just fine.  If the ISP were blocking ports, putting the server in the DMZ should not make a difference, right?

Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Open for 80 and 443 and closed for 4125 are normal for Windows Home Server. Can you confirm that you've tested from off-site? Many routers have issues looping back to their external address when configured for port forwarding.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Well ... just goes to show you the old saying is true, "You learn something new every day". 

I never thought of testing from outside until you brought it up - and yes, the site IS available from a PC at work.  Thanks for getting me straightened out!

Friday, May 2, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Thanks, Ken. I struggled with the same thing for hours today then finally came across your post. I RDP'd from home to another machine off-site then connected from there to my WHS. It worked like a champ.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:29 AM
  • I need some help with WHS and a 2 Wire with AT&T uverse.

help

uttke@comcast.net

thanks
    chad
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:07 AM
  • I have WHS, 2 Wire, and Uverse working. What's your question?

-Ken
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:33 AM
  • I have it hooked up to my computer and I can see the laptop and my computer on the WHS console.
    I use pcanywhere to get into my fathers computer and he has Vista ultimate 64 and I cant get it to take the connection disk.
    I am lost.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:08 AM
  • I have it hooked up to my computer and I can see the laptop and my computer on the WHS console.
    I use pcanywhere to get into my fathers computer and he has Vista ultimate 64 and I cant get it to take the connection disk.
    I am lost.

You should start your own thread (instead of posting in a thread that has already been marked as answered and one which was started a year ago).  Also, please provide as many details as possible.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:58 AM
  • ... and he has Vista ultimate 64 and I cant get it to take the connection disk. ...
    I'm going to assume that your father's computer is connected to the same physical network as your server. (If it's not, you will not be able to install the connector and enroll it with your home server.)

If you have a disk for installing the connector, I assume you have an HP MediaSmart server? The version of the connector on that disk is very old, released before the connector supported 64 bit support operating systems. on your father's computer, open the URL http://server:55000 (replace "server" with the name of your server) and install the connector from the web page you see.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Sorry, chadbo. I haven't tried pcAnywhere, so can't help you out. You should do as kariya suggests: start a new thread with pcAnywhere in the subject line so folks know more about what your actual problem is.

-Ken

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Sorry, chadbo. I haven't tried pcAnywhere, so can't help you out. You should do as kariya suggests: start a new thread with pcAnywhere in the subject line so folks know more about what your actual problem is.

-Ken

I recently had uVerse installed and for the life of me could not get things related to remote access working.  I did NOT want waste a piece of equipment for router behind a router configuration so I searched the web and finally found the answer. 

I orignally had my WHS box set to a static IP, created rules in the uVerse gateway, created the port forwards, and nothing would work.  But when I performed the following steps as outlined at this webpage EVERYTHING worked immediately.

If you have uVerse and are want to use the RG and thats it, try this site:

http://www.homeserverland.com/wiki/w/whs/u-verse-2wire-residential-gateway.aspx

Michael
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:06 PM