HP LX195 network path was not found-need help!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I installed HP LX195, running Windows Home Server, from my computer running XP. I can ping the LX195.  The LX195 can backup my computer.  I can log into the the Windows Console and manage the server.  HOWEVER, I cannot see the server using Explore, and I cannot open a folder from with the Console.  If I try to force my way in using Explore (using the IP address or the name of the server), I get the message "Windows cannot find [servername].  If I try to open a folder from within the Console, I get the message "The network path was not found."

One more thing: I connected a second computer also running XP, and it works perfectly.

One difference I noticed between the two computer is that my Local Area Connection is attached to a Netwrork Bridge (whatever that is, and I probably don't need it).

Help, please!!!!

Friday, July 31, 2009 2:51 AM

Answers

• Problem solved, with excellent help from HP Tech Support (the group in Canada dedicated to the MediaSmart products). Issue was that computer thought I had duplicate network adapters (one real and one virtual). Could see this in the Device Manager, with view set to “Show Hidden Devices.” I uninstalled the real network adapter, then restarted the computer, which then reinstalled the network adapter properly.
    • Marked as answer by tabletpcguy Monday, August 3, 2009 2:06 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 2:03 AM

All replies

• I installed HP LX195, running Windows Home Server, from my computer running XP. I can ping the LX195.  The LX195 can backup my computer.  I can log into the the Windows Console and manage the server.  HOWEVER, I cannot see the server using Explore, and I cannot open a folder from with the Console.  If I try to force my way in using Explore (using the IP address or the name of the server), I get the message "Windows cannot find [servername].  If I try to open a folder from within the Console, I get the message "The network path was not found."

One more thing: I connected a second computer also running XP, and it works perfectly.

One difference I noticed between the two computer is that my Local Area Connection is attached to a Netwrork Bridge (whatever that is, and I probably don't need it).

Help, please!!!!

Are you able to ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  Where do you see that your LAN is attached to a Network Bridge?  If it's on your client in some portion of network properties, that could definitely be part of your problem.  Do you have 2 NICs (either 2 real, 2 virtual, or 1 of each) on your client?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Yes, I can ping both by name and IP address.
    On the client that is not working, when I go to network settings, here is what I see:
    - three connections:  Network Bridge, Local Area Connection, and  1394 Connection
    - The IP settings are handled throught the Network Bridge, with the other two connections bridged.
    - There is only one physical NIC
    - How do I determine the number of virtual NICS?

I have read some things about the LMHOSTS file.  Could this solve the problem, and if so, can you tell me how the file should read?

Thanks!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Yes, I can ping both by name and IP address.
    On the client that is not working, when I go to network settings, here is what I see:
    - three connections:  Network Bridge, Local Area Connection, and  1394 Connection
    - The IP settings are handled throught the Network Bridge, with the other two connections bridged.
    - There is only one physical NIC
    - How do I determine the number of virtual NICS?

I have read some things about the LMHOSTS file.  Could this solve the problem, and if so, can you tell me how the file should read?

Thanks!

Actually, you answered my question when you said your Local Area Connection and your 1394 (FireWire) Connection are bridged.  Try disabling the bridge.  See Microsoft Windows XP:  Enable or disable the network bridge for details.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 12:06 AM
  • I disabled the bridge, but no success.
    I also checked NetBIOS settings, which seem OK.
    I also tried:
    - creating a HOSTS file with: [IP address] [servername]
    - creating a LMHOSTS file with: [IP address] [servername]
    - creating a hpmvhosts file with: [servername] [IP addresss]
    I also turned off the Windows firewall, and disabled Symantec.
    Nothing changes:  Can ping no problem; but cannot Net View

Maybe some parameters for the LMHOSTS file?
    Ugh... please help!!!!
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Problem solved, with excellent help from HP Tech Support (the group in Canada dedicated to the MediaSmart products). Issue was that computer thought I had duplicate network adapters (one real and one virtual). Could see this in the Device Manager, with view set to “Show Hidden Devices.” I uninstalled the real network adapter, then restarted the computer, which then reinstalled the network adapter properly.
    • Marked as answer by tabletpcguy Monday, August 3, 2009 2:06 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 2:03 AM