Remote Web Access in WHS 2011 shows music files with correct files names, but Album and Artist information is shown as Unknown. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS v1 then WHS 2011 for some time now.   In the past all my music was encoded in flac and I had it set up so that all computers and my Squeezebox Touch could easily stream the FLAC files throughout the house.   Given the flac files would not show up in Remote Web Access nor would they show up on the My Home Server program in Windows Phone 7, I decided to re-rip my music to straight wave files so that I could play them through Remote Web Access or my WP 7, or my Xbox 360 for that matter.

Ok, so now you have some context.   I've ripped half my collection and moved an album onto the server to test everything.   Now I can in fact see and play the album in Remote Web Access, on my WP7 as well as my Xbox 360.   Great!!!   However, as the title implies the Album and Artist information does not show up, but is listed as Unknown.

In order to try to fix the issue I fired up Windows Media Player on the WHS 2011 and pointed it to my music library.   Sure enough the Album/Artist/Year/Genre information did not display.   I then edited the information and expected that I had solved the problem.    It did not.    I have also rebooted the server, as well as deleted the WMP database as show in this link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719283).    Still the problem remains.

Does anyone know what may be happening or how to solve this issue???

p.s.  No I do not want to use MP3 files.

• Edited by b23h Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:48 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:45 AM

Answers

• WAV files don't really support rich metadata, or at least not in a way that all software supports. Have you considered WMA Lossless?  You can convert your existing music without re-ripping using a tool like dBpoweramp.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:35 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:03 PM