Customer Portal website CRM 2011 online - How do I get it set up? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - this may sound simple, but how do I set up the website for the customer portal (CRM online 2011) - it is installed perfectly. Do I upload more files - there is no content.

Then, How do I direct my clients to it, etc....

Thank you!

--- ATS2011
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:25 AM

Answers

• You will have to read the documentation.  Installing the solution file into CRM is just the first part - that is just like the database schema.  As Adhish notes, you have to use the WebsiteCopy utility to add the content to your CRM, plus you also need to set up the website on your web server.  The portal does not run inside the CRM application - it runs as its own separate site, reading the content and data from your CRM server.  You can also watch the videos on http://customerportal.codeplex.com for more information - the process is very similar.  I will be publishing some videos soon.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Marked as answer by ATS2011-Anya Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:06 AM
  • To populate the content you will need to use the websitecopy.exe utility. It is well explained in the documentation that comes with the portal.
    Adhish Gupta
    • Marked as answer by ATS2011-Anya Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:11 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:33 PM

All replies

• To populate the content you will need to use the websitecopy.exe utility. It is well explained in the documentation that comes with the portal.
    Adhish Gupta
    • Marked as answer by ATS2011-Anya Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:11 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:33 PM
  • You will have to read the documentation.  Installing the solution file into CRM is just the first part - that is just like the database schema.  As Adhish notes, you have to use the WebsiteCopy utility to add the content to your CRM, plus you also need to set up the website on your web server.  The portal does not run inside the CRM application - it runs as its own separate site, reading the content and data from your CRM server.  You can also watch the videos on http://customerportal.codeplex.com for more information - the process is very similar.  I will be publishing some videos soon.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Marked as answer by ATS2011-Anya Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:06 AM

Thank you very much!
    --- ATS2011
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Hi Shan,

Could you please share a link where the setup is specified for on-premise CRM 2011 and the customer portal is on another web server?

Thanks, Ankit Shah
    Inkey Solutions, India.
    Microsoft Certified Business Management Solutions Professionals
    http://www.inkeysolutions.com/MicrosoftDynamicsCRM.html

Monday, March 28, 2011 1:59 PM
  • That is the normal condition.  Most people host their websites on separate web servers and their CRM on an internal-only server.  There is no special documentation required.

Stated another way - most people download the installer and install it on their developer workstation, then import the CRM solution into CRM and deploy the website to a web server.  There is no reason to run the installer on the CRM server or web server.

Monday, March 28, 2011 3:19 PM