CRM migration concerns RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding the migration process from CRM 3.0 to CRM 2011.

I have downloaded all the required tools, documents, etc. to do the migration, but I have the following
    list of questions that was raised in our meetings.

All the questions are related to the migration process

1.  What is the impact of CRM and SSRS reports when migrating.

2.  Are there any changes that were made on the CRM Data Model between CRM 3.0 and CRM 2011? If yes, what changes, and how do you handle those changes?

3.  Are there any changes on the XML calls and interface, or how XML is used in CRM?

4.  Are there any changes on how call outs are being used?

5.  Integration changes... Are there any changes? How do you handle them?

6.  Are there any data structure changes between 3.0 and 2011? How big of an impact will it have when migrating?

7.  Bugs that was found in CRM 3.0 and workarounds created for. What impact will those custom changes have when migrating?

8.  Was any changes made on the sales process between 3.0 and 2011?

9.  Process dialogs... how far can you customize a dialog when building it? What controls can be built on a dialog?
         Is it possible to allow users to attach files etc. on a dialog?

If anyone can give advice on these questions, or even if there are some sites that shows the differences and changes

between the versions.

Monday, January 30, 2012 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi, a susbtantial amount has changed from crm 3.0 to 2011. Version .0 to 4.0 had a lot of changes and again from 4.0 to 2011. The changes are too numerous to list here.

From a programming point of view you should download the CRM 2011 SDK from www.microsoft.com/downloads and probably the 4.0 version too.

You probably have already noted that you will have to upgrade to version 4 first and then upgrade to 2011.

CRM 2011 still uses SSRS as the reporting platform.

I think the sales process is largely unchanged from version 3 to 2011. You still have leads, accounts, and opportunities.

Hope this is of some help.

• Proposed as answer by CRMDevlpr Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CRMDevlpr Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:57 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Hi

You can found an ocean of information online on how to migrate from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0, new features in CRM 2011. 

Unfortunately, more the information, more complex and scary the situation looks

CRM has changed a lot from 3.0 to 2011.

Its same as comparing Windows 98 to Windows 7 (Hope it is not a PJ for you)

Apart from moving existing functionality to CRM 2011, you also need to know that CRM 2011 also requires 2008 based servers (Windows, SQL). So you would be requiring new servers and licensing.

Here is an article to begin with:

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2011/04/lessons-learned-migrating-data-to-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011.html

Best of Luck!!!

• Proposed as answer by CRMDevlpr Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CRMDevlpr Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:57 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.  I did download the SDK for 4.0 and 2011 as well as all the required Implementation Guides for both with some migration tools as well.

I just wanted to get more detail on the changes and impact of the listed topics that I mentioned before, because I am new in the company and the customizations and changes they made might cause some problems when doing the migration. So, basically I just need some input and advice on helpful sites and sources to look at in order for me to give answers in the meeting.

Thanks for all the replies and help

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:02 PM